Brake fluid swap to 5 / ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is it dirty? Just too much work for me to bleed it off the right way. I don't see any benefit, maybe makes sense after a brake job?

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I'm assuming you're talking about dot 5, right? If so, it is not compatible with any lower rated brake fluid, nor is it compatible with ABS systems.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped

Interesting, I had no idea there was a DOT 5.1. Given that, then I don't see a problem with upgrading the fluid. However, to gain full benefit, the system needs to be 100% flushed dry. Otherwise, any old & lower spec fluid will contaminate the new fluid and you won't gain the full benefit.

I guess before this potentially gets off track, why would you want to "upgrade the fluid"? Outside of parking lot road crossing or severe duty towing, why bother?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've never heard of a system being pumped dry, I think you want to avoid doing that unless you really know that you are doing. You don't want any bubbles in your lines. Maybe he was talking group 5 oil has some benefits over mineral in cold places.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I completely drained my system when I did the hydroboost conversion and swapped in some Wilwood 570 high temp since the hydrobost puts a lot more clamping force on the rotors and heats everything up a lot more. You really don't want to swap to DOT 5, it doesn't absorb any moisture that gets into the system so it sits in two separate phases in the lines rather than mixing like the other brake fluids.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Old style where you pump the oil from the holding tank and then bleeding each line from each brake I feel doesn't mix the oils very much at all and no risk if introducing bubbles if you keep filling the tank after each brake line to make sure it doesn't go empty. But maybe I'm making more out of it, that is just the way I was taught like 30 years ago.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not a Ferrari. Minimal if any benefit to use anything better than the stock spec.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Interesting, I had no idea there was a DOT 5.1. Given that, then I don't see a problem with upgrading the fluid. However, to gain full benefit, the system needs to be 100% flushed dry. Otherwise, any old & lower spec fluid will contaminate the new fluid and you won't gain the full benefit.

I guess before this potentially gets off track, why would you want to "upgrade the fluid"? Outside of parking lot road crossing or severe duty towing, why bother?
I also do not see any reason to chance it either! But that is me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio