Build advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAram22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is currently how I want it looks wise.
I'm wanting to go for straight performance parts now but I need some help.
I have the 5 speed and All I've heard is how much faster the 8 speed is.
I have some money saved to either
1) use as a Down payment on a new sport and trade my truck in
Or
2) finish my truck and finish with almost full bolt ons and do a cam in the near future?
I already have vararam, 180 t stat, ported t body, jay green tune.
Is the 8 speed really gonna be that much faster?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from what I've read unless you plan on doing super crazy performance for track and keep it as a street truck you should be ok. Personally I like the way the 8 speed drives. I test drive both before I bought my truck and the 8 feels peppier to me. And I know people are saying a lot better reliability. I think the best person to answer is Matt at moes. He's got both. I love my truck. And plan on doing full bolt ons and a cam to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think the increased durability that the 8 speed trans brings to the truck is more important than the efficiency i.e. more power to the ground. Quite a few guys on the message boards that have run over their 5 and 6 speeds.

You might save yourself some headaches by getting an 8 speed truck.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
From what I have read once you start adding power to the 5/6sp it really effects there life span.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Long term I think you will be happier with the 8 speed especially if you plan to mod the truck and race it or make a fast street machine. The 8 speed is more reliable than the 5/6 speed inasmuch as it will support more rwhp and the trans gearing is better. Matt has certainly proven that the 5/6 speed will perform very very well, running high 11's with his truck, although it was mostly a track prepared truck. Side by side, with similar equipment, the 8 speed is going to be quicker in the 1/4 mile(IMHO). The 15's and newer tuners are about a grand compare to the older models because you have to replace the ECU in addition to the price of the tuner. That's about twice the price of the older model truck tuners. As was suggested earlier, maybe you should talk to Matt at Moe's and get some of his ideas---he's been there and has had great success with both set-ups. Just a few random ideas from an old fart---:favorites13:
Jay