Bully Dog Hemi Plus Tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tuner alone won't give you better feeling shifts, they will only allow you to change the shift points at wide open throttle. The only way of getting a quicker and more firm shift will be from the Sonnax line booster.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tuner alone won't give you better feeling shifts, they will only allow you to change the shift points at wide open throttle. The only way of getting a quicker and more firm shift will be from the Sonnax line booster.

I was under the impression that a tuner gives your vehicle better shifting. I may be wrong. Maybe I'm thinking of a diablo tuner with a trans tune? Idk anymore.

What are the risks involved with installing a sonnax line booster on a new truck both short and long term?

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know (I don't own a diablo) a tuner will only let you'd just the shift points. I also can't speak first hand about the line booster. I only read that it makes quicker/firm shifts, haven't done any other research yet.

ATRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what exactly is the Sonnax Line Booster? It looks like just a wiring harness.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Its basically just a relay built into a plug to trick your truck into thinking it needs to send more pressure to the trans to shift. From what I have read it is not recommended without a tuner because the factory computer will realize its sending more pressure and start sending less to compensate. People using tuners dont see the truck make that adjustment, probably because the computer is reflashed and factory parameters are gone.

If anything the booster is better for the truck. Soft, slow shifts are bad for a transmission because of all the slipping involved. Firming or shortening shifts, as long as not taken too far, should extend the life of the transmission.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its basically just a relay built into a plug to trick your truck into thinking it needs to send more pressure to the trans to shift. From what I have read it is not recommended without a tuner because the factory computer will realize its sending more pressure and start sending less to compensate. People using tuners dont see the truck make that adjustment, probably because the computer is reflashed and factory parameters are gone.

If anything the booster is better for the truck. Soft, slow shifts are bad for a transmission because of all the slipping involved. Firming or shortening shifts, as long as not taken too far, should extend the life of the transmission.

Ok so pair any tuner with a sonnax line booster. Phew. Know what model number for the sonnax line booster for my 2013 5.7L?

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be 44957-LB2 (15-30 psi increase).

Cool thanks. Are you aware of any short or long term negative effects of adding that kind of thing to a new truck? I want this truck to last a long time.

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah, like I said I haven't done much research on it yet but from what I've read that it can actually help longevity due to quicker shifts. Check out dodge talk forums and ram forumz, I know there's some threads on those sites just from a quick google search on the line booster.

2batruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the bully dog tuner need to be plugged in all the time for the tune to work?

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the bully dog tuner need to be plugged in all the time for the tune to work?

No. You can load the tune and remove it from the vehicle if you want.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey does anyone know what the latest Bullydog update is?

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok Thanks, I guess I'm still up to date then.

Hemi lights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bullydog Platinum GT and S&B works great and a Super Pro 9000 Spintech muffler works for me and I didn't remove resonaters but disabled the MDS

Hemi lights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow Guys! Thanks for the advice! Lots of knowledge floating around this forum. Also, are the claims of increases in MPGs the slightest bit true or am I wasting my time even thinking about it?

I didn't see any MPG increase on the Premium tune with the CAI I'm seeing people that do and I feather the throttle. Maybe the new exhaust will help

Hemi lights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't see any MPG gain with Bullydog Platinum GT on Premium with MDS disabled with a S&B CAI and Spintech Super Pro muffler