bully dog installed in 2013 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3500 miles on mine and yes I would suggest getting a catch can with it.

Why do you suggest that? If its not required, I don't want to spend money on it.

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reason to buy a catch can. Since the oil being recirculated drops the octane rating of gas and 85 is considered the bare minimum safe octane then 87 could cause power loss and pinging depending on conditions due to the PCV circuit adding the oil back into the intake track altering your octane. This would be especially true in areas where gas is less in demand and sits in tanks for longer. Now when you add a catch can to the mix it removes this oil allowing the octane rating to hold properly and 87 is more viable as a fuel with less chance of being out of tolerance so 89 would not do as much. Most results from the PCV circuit show a possible drop of 3-4 octane max with 2 more normal. So 89 would always be above the minimum and 87 could drop below the safe threshold without the catch can. Combine the ability to hold octane properly with a canned 87 tune from the Bullydog unit and you have a very safe, reliable, and economical power boost. The catch can also keeps that recirculated oil out of the throttle body and intake, meaning longer engine life, better running, and it will maintain power better over the course of it's life because it will be less gummed up.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys who ordered the tuner with 2013 Rams, how many miles do you have on your trucks? I feel the need to wait until my truck has a few thousand miles on it before getting considering a tuner.

Also, is a catch can required when you add a tuner to your truck? Thanks

Catch Can isnt required BUT highly recommened
Here is an explanation of the value of the catch can and we do have an introductory offer on our Billet Z bracket catch can at $104.99 that we will be raising the price in a day or 2.....

DAP Catch Can

It is developed to eliminate oil from entering your intake by engine blow-by, which channels oil and trash into your direct air stream from the valve train. This is a common problem on both brand new performance and especially older engines, which just suffer more from blow by due to wear and tear.
The most common problem is making your car emit light blueish white smoke upon start up or even during normal driving. The throttle body handles your main air stream and has a breather tube running from the crankcase to the throttle body. The vacuum from the incoming airstream and positive pressure in the crankcase combine to get oil in the air tract.
Every car and vehicle is set up this way to help eliminate the pressure build-up in the bottom end of your engine enabling the piston to move up and down with less resistance.
Catch cans feature a containment system and separator that force all the debris to get captured and contained in the filter while still allowing airflow thus maintaining full function of the breather system.
Another key problem caused by oil in the intake is that it reduces the octane of your fuel and causes detonation especially in turbo, supercharger and nitrous applications.

I have 3500 miles on mine and yes I would suggest getting a catch can with it.

This ^^^

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, those that installed the Bully Dog tuners, are you leaving them in, and if so where are you drawing power from? I don't want to go thru the firewall.

If I don't want to leave it in for now, can I use the USB in the center console for power just for programming?

I'm new to the tuner thing so any help will be appreciated. Pics too if possible.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OBDII plug will power it for tuning. Flip the switch to battery and voila it's powered.

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I hooked it up, said my vehicle not on list, I need more time, it's time to be mr. Mom and run the kids. I'll have all day tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why do you suggest that? If its not required, I don't want to spend money on it.

here's another good one for you I put my can on ran the truck for about 500 miles and checked it just curious there was about a 1/4 inch of oil in the can so I certainly don't want all that oil going through my intake

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had the check engine light problem they asked me a bunch of questions. Tune version #, vin #, and a few others. These were right off the tuner. They needed to know the exact version of the tune I had. I also had to provide them with the DTC code I was getting for the check engine light. After providing this info they determined what download I needed. I had only downloaded the 2013 Ram tune from their website 3 days earlier and these files weren't included. You will probably have to install yours 1st then call them so they can load the specific files to it. I only had 530 miles on my truck when I installed the tuner.

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My tuner thru a code and part #, after talking to Bully Dog, they said they would have to add that part number to the program and I would have to wait for an update, which could take up to a week.

Sent from my iPhone

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well mine will be on it's way back to Bullydog for whatever they need to do to unlock it and make it accept a download.

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
So is anybody actually happy with the tuner yet??

OP
OP
L

lowone01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Im happy with mine. I have no problems with it. Just waiting on the updates to start rolling out.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely think they released the 2013 Ram tune too early. Should have tested it on a few more trucks and worked these bugs out before releasing. Next week I'll be calling them back to see if they have the updates to make the other options work, headlight/wiper, seatbelt chime, etc.

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I agree. Although I don't care one bit about most of the options as they are all available through my dash. MDS disable, and modify traction control is about it.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found out today that the TPMS sensor disable doesn't work either, this sucks. Other than the tune the only things that work are the options that already came with my truck so I don't need them anyway. How do they release this with no options working? Sorry had to vent a little.

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need to apologize. Honestly the features meant little when I bought it. I strictly wanted the performance and efficiency boost. Which of course is also not up to ***** yet. In a way I am happy I can't get mine to work so I won't be further let down. When my gets back from repair they should have the tune and the bugs fixed supposedly.

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have downloaded the ram 2013 onto the sd card a couple of times, then when I hook the tuner up to the truck I go to the change vehicle page and ram 2013 does not come up. Is there anything I am doing wrong during the download? When I originally tried to load the tuner I think I selected 2011-2012 ram, and now I am thinking that's why it wouldn't load and contacted bully dog for help, they said it might take a week.
I am new to tuners so any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's what happened to me. It comes in demo mode. You have to select the vehicle closest to yours and then update the unit. Then you are supposed to go and download the 2013 Ram. Go back in a select it from the list. Update the GT again and then go load it into your vehicle as directed. Simply put there are no directions for this part. Mine had directions in there and it did not cover a couple of these steps. Mine is locked to my truck, which is good, however it acts like it is vin locked to another vehicle because the load is stuck on a generic 11-13 Chrysler load. When I try to update it in the update agent it wants to only download the GT Diesel files no matter what I select. BD could not get it to unlock over the phone despite 2 hours with them and multiple unlock codes and retries. It ships out today for repair. In the meantime I got nothing to show for my money. I could tell you the rest of the story but it would be it's own thread.