bully dog set up help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanCityRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys i just bought a bully dog gt gas tuner 40417 for my 2012ram 1500 sport.im about to install and set it up and i just wanna know if anyone has suggestions for the set up. ie.shift points, turning off MDS,speed limiter etc.. i know everyone is going to say its preference but i have no clue what to expect. i want to unlock the full potential of my 5.7 and i wanna set it up so im not hurting the engine but still flying .ive got k&n intake and magnaflow exhaust. anyone with input or suggestions, lets hear it.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you can find a used diablosport trinity that's unlocked you'd have better luck getting that as well as a custom tune from hemi fever or Jay greene. .. can't speak for hemi fever but alot of guys speak very highly of him... I have a custom tune from Jay greene and am very happy... shift points are great throttle boost is set to my liking.. mds is off... line pressure is raised... etc... deffintaly night and day difference from the canned tunes... where I only turned off mds and raised the throttle boost...goodluck with the bullydog though !I'm sure others will chime in

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a custom Tune for HEMIFEVER. Much easier than trying to figure out all the parameters.

OP
OP
V

VanCityRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I'll check out hemi fever and Jay Greene. I just wasn't sure if it was good deal to buy a custom tune if you didn't have substantial performance upgrades.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Custom tune with just bolt ons, or nothing but stock, is the best upgrade you can do for these trucks. And your custom tuner will stay with you and work with you when you add other things. I run a 93 octane tune from hemifever and he's been awesome to work with. I still owe him a datalog to fine tune things but he's already worked with me multiple times to tweak shift points. Super nice and extremely responsive.

I looked hard at the bully dog too and ended up going Diablo after much research. The custom tune will really wake your truck up....

OP
OP
V

VanCityRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at the diablo and did some research and what I found was that the bully dog has better canned tunes. I don't take my truck to the track or anything like that. I mostly do off roading but since i have put 37's on I've noticed a loss in power ( no surprise ) I'm hoping I can tune it up and get some power back

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
You need a new rear end more than anything else then....The tuner will help but gears for those 37s.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Your Bullydog 40417 supports custom tuning via SCT software, so Hemifever can send you a custom tune that will work with what you already have. I would reach out to them directly, and they can get you setup.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you try a custom Tune you will never use Can tunes

OP
OP
V

VanCityRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's awesome, I guess I should try a can tune first so I can really appreciate a hemi fever tune! I'll reach out to hemi fever and see what they can do for me. i just wanna get it installed and start playing with it but i also don't want to hurt my truck

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's awesome, I guess I should try a can tune first so I can really appreciate a hemi fever tune! I'll reach out to hemi fever and see what they can do for me. i just wanna get it installed and start playing with it but i also don't want to hurt my truck

Bullydog can tunes definitely wakes up my 2010 hemi. I've been doing research myself about getting hemi fever tunes just haven't gotten the courage to talk to him about it. Anyone know how much his tunes are? What kinda gains you're getting? And if he has set prices for tunes is it one or multiple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same boat. Just bought a GT tuner. I don't want to mess with shift points, I don't take the truck to the track, I'm not interested so much in 0-60 performance. I am looking for somewhat decent mileage as the truck is my daily commuter. What I really hope for is better mileage when towing the boat or when I have the sleds on the deck.

I just got a cat back MBRP exhaust and it already dropped my mileage down a good amount.

I just know nothing about tuners or what I should be looking for in terms of setting it up for my expectations.