bullydog THOUGHTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i bought bullydog for my 2013 ram 5.7 should receive this friday

dont know now after hearing alot of bad things about this tuner if i did the right thing in buying it. Been seeing it suks no power cel,freezing,cylinders will mess up etc......

new to this tuner as i use to own a ford lightning and use to use customs tunes with and sct tuner......

so anythought would and facts would be appreciated

and is it even easy to install without any problems?

:whymewhyme:

lowone01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I had no problem installing mine. The only problem was a check engine light came on after and i called bullydog up and they already had a fix for it also from my understanding they have a few more updates to release for it just no dates on them yet.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what kind of hp gain?

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know on the 12's I have heard nothing but good, the only time anyone talks them down is for the lacking of a custom tune, but you know that going into it. I'm sure the 13's will get the bugs worked out, they re a brand new product for the 13's.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which one do you recommend?

It all depends on what your wallet allows....LOL

Its whether you can run regular or premium fuel. I would say, premium (thats what I run), but not sure if that is what you want to run going forward.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
theres a guy on another forum that gained nothing from it because bully dog still hasnt taken out any tq management they still have to release an update that does that.. from some complaints ive heard it seems like they rushed it out to beat diablo without much testing

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As of now, Bullydog is still having issues with the 2013's. There are a few guys that were able to get it working, but the majority are having a hard time getting the tune to load and run properly. Many companies are trying to push these units out because they are desperate to make sales, but I would rather wait until we know it is working properly before we start accepting orders for the 2013's.

I am in contact with BD daily, and they told me it would be a few more weeks before they have it all together.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As of now, Bullydog is still having issues with the 2013's. There are a few guys that were able to get it working, but the majority are having a hard time getting the tune to load and run properly. Many companies are trying to push these units out because they are desperate to make sales, but I would rather wait until we know it is working properly before we start accepting orders for the 2013's.

I am in contact with BD daily, and they told me it would be a few more weeks before they have it all together.

I dont think its a matter of companies 'trying to push these units out because they are desperate to make sales'

I think you need to SELECT your words correctly before posting comments such as this
Many of the other companies who sell BD are in contact with them... including us :favorites13:

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
My 2012 R/T Loved it. I run premium all the time, I've got 10k mile on my truck and just had to put new tires on it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
That wasn't directed at you. That was just a general statement. Many companies did the same thing with Bullydog and Diablo when it was first released for the 11's and 12's. They are in such a rush to make a sale that they will sell the part anyways when they know there are issues that need to be worked out.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That wasn't directed at you. That was just a general statement. Many companies did the same thing with Bullydog and Diablo when it was first released for the 11's and 12's. They are in such a rush to make a sale that they will sell the part anyways when they know there are issues that need to be worked out.

Matt, I know man!
General Statements can be indirectly directed (if that makes any sense) at other vendors on this forum. So just pointing that out.

Either way, its all good :D

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I totally agree with you Matt. I think they rush them to sell before they are ready. The proof is in the pudding. So many issues with 13s so that's proof enough for me, and many others. I too run the BD on my 12 and I love it. BUT, alot of people had these same issues with the 12 tuning when it came out. Me included. And these comments are directed towards BD, not any forum vendors. Just Bully Dog, and anyone else who rushes their products to market before they do what the company advertises. No offense to anyone on here. The people that sell them are not at fault.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on what I've read, I would never be the first in line to buy a tuner when they first come out. Wait a few months. They always seem quite buggy initially.

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here's what bugs me about this. I get the tune may not be right, fair enough. The tuner however has been out for couple years. the basics of loading, file sorting, and user experience should have been worked out by now.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Well here's what bugs me about this. I get the tune may not be right, fair enough. The tuner however has been out for couple years. the basics of loading, file sorting, and user experience should have been worked out by now.

The tuner is actually fairly new as well. BD didn't release the 2011-12 tuning until the end of last year, so the 40430 unit has only been on the market for about 6 months.

Having said that, BD has been quick to resolve any issues that came up though, so I don't see it taking them more than a couple weeks to get the bugs worked out on the 2013 updates.

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the 40430 user experience that much different than the other models? I am not saying don't buy one or they aren't or won't be worth it. Just saying it could be more user friendly and use a more logical file structure. Would cut down on their issues with new releases.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Heck I don't think they have a tuner that works for 03-05 manual diesels still lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
In the past, Bullydog has been more of a diesel tuner, especially for the Dodge trucks. I ran their tuner on my 07 Cummins, and it was a very easy loading process. The issues didn't start until they released the 40430. For whatever reason, there were many people that had issues getting the tune to take to the tuner, but once loaded, the gains were well worth it. What I can say about BD's tech support is that hey are generally very quick to respond to any problems. While they may not have released a permanent fix to the loading issues, they can usually take over your computer and get you sorted out in about 10 minutes. They are working on the issues as we speak, and they told me to expect everything to be good in about 2 weeks.