bullydog THOUGHTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool that everything will be good soon. Hopefully updating each time won't require a call to tech support.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
In the past, Bullydog has been more of a diesel tuner, especially for the Dodge trucks. I ran their tuner on my 07 Cummins, and it was a very easy loading process. The issues didn't start until they released the 40430. For whatever reason, there were many people that had issues getting the tune to take to the tuner, but once loaded, the gains were well worth it. What I can say about BD's tech support is that hey are generally very quick to respond to any problems. While they may not have released a permanent fix to the loading issues, they can usually take over your computer and get you sorted out in about 10 minutes. They are working on the issues as we speak, and they told me to expect everything to be good in about 2 weeks.

They're tech support has been outstanding

Smarty worked great on my 03 and my 05, both manuals
I really wanted to be able to tune on the fly
I kind of bought the BD on a whim with the hopes of something compareable to a mini maxx like in my gf dad's 09
It has worked great in my buddies manual 06 for the past week that he's been "borrowing" it

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so knowing their is still issues wit the bullydog

should i install when i get it just wait call bd support line?

and does this damage transmission im so dissapointed in all the bad threads on this tuner would not care if i havent bought but its already on it way

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am with you. Already purchased and not returnable as it sits. Very disappointed in the overall experience at this point. Wish I had gotten the 87 MM throttle body instead. Would be on, finished and running happy.

On a side note it's a great paper weight and is useful to clear the stupid EVAP code the truck keeps throwing for what I surmise is a faulty gas cap.

Harrisb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe a stupid question but with the bullydog (or trinity) can you install the tune and then disconnect the device? Ideally I'd only want the screen for one or two data captures after mods then I don't want it in the truck. Thoughts?

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so knowing their is still issues wit the bullydog

should i install when i get it just wait call bd support line?

and does this damage transmission im so dissapointed in all the bad threads on this tuner would not care if i havent bought but its already on it way

I am with you. Already purchased and not returnable as it sits. Very disappointed in the overall experience at this point. Wish I had gotten the 87 MM throttle body instead. Would be on, finished and running happy.

On a side note it's a great paper weight and is useful to clear the stupid EVAP code the truck keeps throwing for what I surmise is a faulty gas cap.

Although there are glitches, BD would not launch something that would mess your tranny and engine up.
These are little tweaks they will correct within 2-3 weeks as Matt said.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Maybe a stupid question but with the bullydog (or trinity) can you install the tune and then disconnect the device? Ideally I'd only want the screen for one or two data captures after mods then I don't want it in the truck. Thoughts?

Yes you can
You'll end up using it more then you think you will

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes you can
You'll end up using it more then you think you will

best bet bud is to wait for efi live software to be available for the 03-05 guys they are working on it and have been so should be soon I've used efi for years and without a shadow of a doubt is the best tuning software on the planet a good efi tune will make any canned tune feel like you shoved a rag in your intake horn

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is very possible.
I however have mine turn on auto magically with gauges.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So should i update try to install amd see what happens or should i just waitt?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
It wont hurt anything if you update and load it now. I just wouldn't expect all the features to work until they sort out a few of the bugs they are working on. The updates are free, so just check their website every few days to see if they have released anything new.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It wont hurt anything if you update and load it now. I just wouldn't expect all the features to work until they sort out a few of the bugs they are working on. The updates are free, so just check their website every few days to see if they have released anything new.

the software i have to download to update is called bullydog update agent correct?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Correct. You will see the updated version numbers as they release them, so just check their site every now and then to make sure you have the most current version of the tune.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. You will see the updated version numbers as they release them, so just check their site every now and then to make sure you have the most current version of the tune.

ok i will keep you guys updated to see what happens

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so ive trieed installing and after the option after accepting term and conditions it says not compatible what em i doing wrong? Error code

i updated in computer it ask me what kinds of truck 2013 right so on the tuner it just says 2011-2012 that the only option i had as it did not say 2013 on tuner so i went with that one and after everything says not compatible so em i doing something here that is not right?

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Call tech support now because you are where many of us have been. Stuck because it won't load the right files.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Call tech support now because you are where many of us have been. Stuck because it won't load the right files.

That suks they close saturday now
i have to wait maybe until tuesday as mon is holiday

To bad for me and trying to load the tune why couldn't bd just make a regular handheld tunerto be compatible just for truck and mhe serial number to match

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
All the tuning companies are moving towards universal part #'s because it is much easier to have 1 unit that works for many vehicles than to have 100 different units for 100 different vehicles. This 2013 tuning was not ready for release as there are way too many bugs they are trying to work out. I think they should have held off on this for a few more weeks.

SeaSoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys that are running the Premium tune turning off the MDS? Any issues running 91 or 92 octane, I cant find 93 where I'm at?