Bump Ride Under 5 mph.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
Interesting coincidence how this guy with a 2014 1500 said they're the worst tires he's ever had.
Review by tick
I promise it wasn't me! lol

Edit: Wrong tire. This was for the Defender. Mine are Premier.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best and longest lasting uh... let's just go with " you think they are a great tire and have had good experience with them"

I have actually never owned a set of Michelins but I can tell you from my years of working in a tire shop mounting and balancing tires that they never came back with defects and everyone that owned them almost always bought Michelin again.

The shop I worked for had a large rack of tires that came back under warranty for issues, like the tire separating ect. and you would be hard pressed to find a single Michelin on it. There were a lot of Uniroyals on it though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
I went to Pep Boys this morning. I showed them the tires, told them everything I have done and they agreed to give me two new tires 90% off and a $60 alignment. It came out to around $145. Seemed like a pretty good compromise. I was happy with that and I gained some respect for Pep Boys. I came in thinking they would argue with everything I said. However, the car is still bumpy at the slow speeds. Except now it's bumpy only at speeds less than 2 or 3 mph.... like only 50% of the problem is fixed. Go figure. I noticed the ride handles holes and bumps in the road a lot better.

Like grizzstang said, they said Michelin's are the best and almost never have issues. They also said that this was caused by bad shocks. Really surprised and disappointed that at 50,000 miles my shocks would go bad and the low mileage may have led them down the path of a bad alignment, which would be their fault and maybe that's why they helped me out.

What do you think I should do? Will these back ones smooth out over time or should I go back in and tell them this didn't fix the issue?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They will wear smooth given time now the problem has been fixed and your tires are not hopping down the road. It will take time and if they are on the back I would think they would be barely noticeable. The question is can you live with it until it does? If not I would replace them.

50,000 miles is on the low end for replacing shocks but is considered in the normal range. Most techs will tell you 50,000 to 70,000 miles is about all they are good for although many people leave them on well past that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
So I've still been having this problem, but I discovered something new. It doesn't bounce and isn't bumpy at all when I have the truck in neutral. On a slight downward slope I can slowly get up to speed by releasing the breaks and it's as smooth as can be. I definitely have to take this in to the dealer.

I went back to Pep Boys and the guy said he couldn't hook me up with new tires without the managers approval this time, and to come back when he was there. This is driving me nuts. My new discovery leads me to believe that I can make due with these tires and my problem is more significant than tires.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
So I've still been having this problem, but I discovered something new. It doesn't bounce and isn't bumpy at all when I have the truck in neutral. On a slight downward slope I can slowly get up to speed by releasing the breaks and it's as smooth as can be. I definitely have to take this in to the dealer.

I went back to Pep Boys and the guy said he couldn't hook me up with new tires without the managers approval this time, and to come back when he was there. This is driving me nuts. My new discovery leads me to believe that I can make due with these tires and my problem is more significant than tires.

Check out this thread

http://www.ramforum.com/f38/rear_end_clunk_letting_off_brakes-86619/#post1310964

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
Update: I spent 3 hours waiting around at the dealership today. The guy tells me that the technician couldn't feel what I was talking about. I said, "I'll get in the truck with him and I can make it happen right away." Then he said, "well, let me see if another technician can drive it and see what he says". After about 30 minutes they come back to me and say, "He felt the problem, and agrees with you that because it's a smooth ride in neutral, this isn't a suspension or tire problem. Our engine and transmission guy is booked today, so you'll need to make another appointment to drop off the car."... Man I hate this place.

The 2 new tires that have ~1500 miles on them are starting to show the same wear pattern. I'm almost ready to get rid of this truck. What a pain.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dang crazy this is still
Going on.

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
If nothing else I’m glad I can vent here. Truck is back at the dealer. The service representative tells me their master technician drove it and says what you’re feeling is normal for the 6 cylinder.......the second you hear normal it gets your adrenaline pumping. I said I, or nobody else would ever buy the Truck if that was normal and I will not accept that reasoning. So now he’s talking to the service manager. He also said, they don’t want to throw parts into a problem that they’re not sure how to fix. What a joke.

At the end of the day I speak to the manager and he almost gets me to flip my sh*t. He told me that himself and other mechanics are deeming this to be completely normal. Once again, I expressed that this issue is not normal because it hasn’t occurred during the first 2.5 years I’ve driven the truck. He told me because there are no trouble codes there is no problem. I told him this is completely dishonest! Again, I offered to drive the truck with him or any mechanic. He did not take me up on that offer and said he will drive it again in the morning. I’m not sure what is going to change in the morning.