Buying used tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
I found a diablo sport trinity t1000 for sale locally for cheap which is usually $800+ here in canada. It was purchased for a 2014 ram 5.7 but mine is a 2013 5.7 ram, will this work for my truck? would the "stock tune" be the same as my truck stock or would it change it up? I will be double checking that its not locked to a different VIN. Am I able to add hemifever or jay green tune to it after or do those need to be purchased along with the tuner?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It'll should work on your truck just pull up Diablo's list to verify. There is 4-5 pre loaded tunes on the t-1000. A fuel economy, towing, 87, and 91 tune and those are canned tunes. You can modify any one of those tune with different options like turning off MDS and changing tire size ECT. You can download a custom tune from jay or hemifever (at a price) with the t-1000. I bought mine used and the backup tune was stored in it even though it was still "unmarried" and I had to contact Diablo witch there customer service was great for me very easy to deal with and walked me right though it.

OP
OP
M

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
I bought mine used and the backup tune was stored in it even though it was still "unmarried" and I had to contact Diablo witch there customer service was great for me very easy to deal with and walked me right though it.

Can you elaborate on this? Is the backup tune/stock tune going to be messed up for me since its from a different year?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Can you elaborate on this? Is the backup tune/stock tune going to be messed up for me since its from a different year?

From my understanding when you plug the tuner in it pulls your factory tune and store it on the tuner and places a different tune back into your truck. The tuner also creates a back up tune Incase your factory tune gets messed up you can still revert back to stock. The back up tune just wasn't deleted from the tuner in my case so Diablo had to give me a code to wipe the backup file off there.

Also the one I bought was originally paired with a 2005 v6 mustang I wouldn't worry about a 2014 ram vs 2013

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
From my understanding when you plug the tuner in it pulls your factory tune and store it on the tuner and places a different tune back into your truck. The tuner also creates a back up tune Incase your factory tune gets messed up you can still revert back to stock. The back up tune just wasn't deleted from the tuner in my case so Diablo had to give me a code to wipe the backup file off there.

Also the one I bought was originally paired with a 2005 v6 mustang I wouldn't worry about a 2014 ram vs 2013

Did it cost anything to get the code to wipe the backup file off?

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If the tuner isn't married, you should be able to go into the vehicle settings and find your truck. Then it will go through the process of backing up your factory tune.....and then follow the prompts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Did it cost anything to get the code to wipe the backup file off?

No it was a unmarried unit. As long as it's unmarried you should be good. It's the married ones that's when you have to pay to unlock it.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lets simplify this......You stated the tuner was for sale locally? then arrange to meet and plug it into your truck and ask it for last tune written. If your not familiar with the T1000, then u tube "how to tell if a t100 is married" etc. also check out/ search on diablos site, go to forums then t1000 and search a bit.

the tuner should indicate that its not married, or that it is, then you will know. also you will know if its working.

bigjrob04

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 dodge ram
Engine
What did it tell you when you plugged it in mine keeps saying unable to read pcm but when i plug my bully dog back in it works fine (yes it was return to stock from the bullydog)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What did it tell you when you plugged it in mine keeps saying unable to read pcm but when i plug my bully dog back in it works fine (yes it was return to stock from the bullydog)

Plug the programmer into your computer and update it, then try it on the truck.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this one of the tuners that has to be plugged into the truck ALL the time? Or can you plug it in, set your tune and put it away. I found one used on here and am going to buy it if he gets back to me.