CAI Brand Swap - Upgrade or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I currently run a K&N 63 series and am looking at either the S&B or Vararam. A couple of questions:
  • if you made this swap to either of these from K&N, notice an increase in HP?
  • Which of these would be best suited with a 87mm ported TB, tune, LT headers and cat-back exhaust system?

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Intakes on our trucks in general are very minimal in gains because of the Stock CPU. They have been differences between them but it wont be much. I have a S&B and love it but if my truck already had a aftermarket intake; I probably would just try to improve on that one.

But if your rich, Ill take some side steps lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think with the other mod's you already have the Vararam would work best for you. I have had one on the last 3 4th Gen's I've had and I have been happy with all of them. The engineering and workmanship could use a little help, but overall a good product. Around town you won't see much difference but under acceleration and on the highway you will feel a difference from stock.
Jay

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^ X2, What Pull Ya said!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I currently run a K&N 63 series and am looking at either the S&B or Vararam. A couple of questions:
  • if you made this swap to either of these from K&N, notice an increase in HP?
  • Which of these would be best suited with a 87mm ported TB, tune, LT headers and cat-back exhaust system?
Biggest difference is going to be less obvious throttle noise from under the hood.

I have the S&B and even when I had the stock exhaust on my RAM it wasn't overly loud. Before my RAM I had a K&N on a 4.7L Durango. That CAI could shake the fillings out of your teeth at WOT and would drown out music and conversation under acceleration on the freeway. It also sounded poser because the noise wasn't coming from the tail pipe, and it frequently gasped at idle like I was trying to pretend I had a blower under the hood.

So now I have a louder exhaust on the RAM and the CAI throttle noise is not even an issue. I think I get a little sump'n in the butt dyno and I know I'm getting colder combustion air because its not sucking form under the hood the way a K&N does, by instead using the factory fender aperture.

That being said, if you want more noticeable impact on performance you'll want the Vararam. Some say the S&B fit and finish is way better (and I agree) because Vararam seems a little flimsy, but the ram-air-like behavior of the Vararam is best for power, especially if your feeding headers and a free flowing exhaust.

Happy mod'n. :cheers:

Last edited: