CAI, or exhaust first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchadhaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay guys I'm brand new to the forum here is my intro: http://www.ramforum.com/f4/my-first-dodge-love-18855/

There are two engine related upgrades I want to make, a CAI (Volant, S&B, AFE, or K&N haven't decided yet) and exhaust.

I love my factory dual exhaust but I'd like to have just a little more rumble at idle nothing too loud and maybe a little bit less restriction.

So what gives me the most bang for my buck to do first and what do you guys recommend?

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think they are 2 mods that go together, like bread and butter, or spaghetti and mayo. (lol)

I just made my own cai, ( using a k-n come filter and the do-it yourself tubing you can get at autozone. Save about $200 over buyin an actual cai premise kit.

Same day I had a single chamber cherry bomb single in/ dual out. I left the first resonator and replaced the muffler and last resonator . Sounds grea and isn't too loud, but has a nice deep rumble.

Sent from iPhone Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I did exhaust first, then cai. I got a 14" mufflex kit that bolts right into where the stock muffler was. No modification of pipes. This is a more expensive option but i didn't want to deal with getting one welded in and now i can easily put the stock back on if need be

OP
OP
rchadhaney

rchadhaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did exhaust first, then cai. I got a 14" mufflex kit that bolts right into where the stock muffler was. No modification of pipes. This is a more expensive option but i didn't want to deal with getting one welded in and now i can easily put the stock back on if need be

So how does it sound? Did you notice any performance gains from doing that?

OP
OP
rchadhaney

rchadhaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
its not loud at all at highway cruising. LB3117 has the 18" and there isn't much difference to be honest.

Polaris Pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the 14" welded in, and I am glad that a lot of guys talked me in to the 14". I think I would have been disappointed with the 18". The 14" has a nice rumble and you can hardly even hear it at highway speeds. I am getting the Y pipe done in a week or so from the same shop.

My only problem is keeping my foot out of it now.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter. If you do the intake, you'll feel a bit more positive throttle response. If you do the exhaust first, you get the better sound.

These two mods don't really reach their potential until both are on a vehicle.