CAI, tune and throttle body question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shynola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey all, getting the 14 model rcsb ready for the upcoming show season and am wanting a cool looking Cold Air Intake ($300-$400 range +/-). As i'm mentioning this to a friend today, he says that i'll also need a tune (if not immediately, then soon). I never EVER would of thought this to be the case but since it was brought up, now I absolutely have to know....i'm thinking the answer is no after reading CAI threads on here...but I wanted to ask our people in the "know".

Second is...I'm also gonna pick up one of the anodized throttle body covers from Moe's for a little dress-up as part of this build. So the question is, if/when I decide to up-size the throttle body in the future, will that same cover fit on an 85-87mm? Or should I expect the exterior dimensions of the housing to be different? A hemifever tune would be appropriate with the throttle body up-sizing too, at that time, wouldn't it?

thanks guys

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 83

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't necessarily need a tune for a CAI.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a 100% sure but i think the ecu can to a degree make allowances for the extra lil bit of air from the cai..

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
On moes throttle body I'm pretty sure it's factory outside so the cover will still fit.

You don't need a tuner but they make the truck way more fun to drive.

If you go with a vararam intake you can't really see the throttle body. S&B is the other popular intake

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You don't need a tuner for a CAI but it will help manage the additional air in and adjust the air/fuel ratio some to optimize that.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The guys are right on. A tuner is not needed for you to run an intake, but the tuner will show a much bigger performance gain than you will get from the intake.

And the throttle body cover will work on our ported throttle body as well because our units are just ported OEM Mopar units. You would just need to replace the double sided tape on the inside of the TB cover when you put it on the new ported unit.

OP
OP
shynola

shynola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks guys, I appreciate the input!

OP
OP
shynola

shynola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The guys are right on. A tuner is not needed for you to run an intake, but the tuner will show a much bigger performance gain than you will get from the intake.

And the throttle body cover will work on our ported throttle body as well because our units are just ported OEM Mopar units. You would just need to replace the double sided tape on the inside of the TB cover when you put it on the new ported unit.

PM sent...and thanks!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Did you decide on a CAI yet? Moe's offers both the Vararam which looks unique and gives best track performance and the S&B which looks better than factory stock when installed.

I like the S&B, but I'm no 1/4 miler.

OP
OP
shynola

shynola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you decide on a CAI yet? Moe's offers both the Vararam which looks unique and gives best track performance and the S&B which looks better than factory stock when installed.

I like the S&B, but I'm no 1/4 miler.

thanks for the input. I like the S&B too. That's what i'm going to go with...with the scoop too. Matt said it didn't help much (if any), but the looks of it has me hooked and that's the name of the game here.