Camshaft swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the moment I have an intake and throttle body but I'm going to set up my truck for a cam swap, does anyone know the safest streetable cam to go with? I was thinking about a comp cam stage 2 camshaft does anyone know the power difference I should expect after a custom tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why go straight for the cam? To me it doesn't seem like you have the supporting mods that would benefit the cam i.e; Longtubes, 4:56's since you have a '12, and a converter. That and we need more info on your truck before any advice is given for a cam. An RCSB 2wd with no spare is alot different than a crew cab 4x4 with 35's and a big tool box in the bed.

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why go straight for the cam? To me it doesn't seem like you have the supporting mods that would benefit the cam i.e; Longtubes, 4:56's since you have a '12, and a converter. That and we need more info on your truck before any advice is given for a cam. An RCSB 2wd with no spare is alot different than a crew cab 4x4 with 35's and a big tool box in the bed.

As I said previously, I'm going to set up my truck for a cam swap I was only naming what I had done at the moment.

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I said previously, I'm going to set up my truck for a cam swap I was only naming what I had done at the moment.

Oh, well that really clears it up then.

I say skip the cam and do the whale ***** intake, and then a vtec crossover pipe. :flipthebird:

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, well that really clears it up then.

I say skip the cam and do the whale ***** intake, and then a vtec crossover pipe. :flipthebird:

That sounds good and I'll also buy that waterfront property In Arizona from you. Throw in a sky hook for me as well

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
A lot of info is needed to select a cam or give a recommendation. You need to know what you want to achieve. Low end grunt, midrange or high rpm pull? Every cam will give you a different result and hp gains. Are you wanting a mild cam, around town cam, or a track cam? A torque cam may net you 30 or so hp, run a big cam and gain 100hp. As Jimmy_K said, we need some more info about your truck also

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of info is needed to select a cam or give a recommendation. You need to know what you want to achieve. Low end grunt, midrange or high rpm pull? Every cam will give you a different result and hp gains. Are you wanting a mild cam, around town cam, or a track cam? A torque cam may net you 30 or so hp, run a big cam and gain 100hp. As Jimmy_K said, we need some more info about your truck also

Your both right when I said streetable I meant a mile cam but I wasn't very specific because an aggressive cam can also be streetable

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mild *

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I put a comp 260 in my 03 quad cab when I rebuilt my engine this month. It was the most recommended for a mild torque cam for my setup. Still breaking in the engine so time will tell if it was a good choice. Can't wait to start pushing it hard. Dyno charts I've seen have shown about 30hp~20lbs of torque. Who knows, maybe one day I'll take it out and run something crazy

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a comp 260 in my 03 quad cab when I rebuilt my engine this month. It was the most recommended for a mild torque cam for my setup. Still breaking in the engine so time will tell if it was a good choice. Can't wait to start pushing it hard. Dyno charts I've seen have shown about 30hp~20lbs of torque. Who knows, maybe one day I'll take it out and run something crazy

That's not bad for a mild cam, are you getting a good sound?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just posted my idle video on my build thread an hour ago if you want to check it out. It's not a choppy cam in particular but it sounds a lot better then before

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just posted my idle video on my build thread an hour ago if you want to check it out. It's not a choppy cam in particular but it sounds a lot better then before

Cool I'll check it out

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
keep in mind there is a huge difference in cams between the '03-'08 and the '09+ with VVT. Since you have a VVT engine you can't compare to the pre-VVT cams for sound because the VVT doesn't really like the LSA required to get the lumpy cam sound. For yours, both Greene Racing and Moe's Performance have mild cam grinds that perform well and don't require any major head upgrades, or you can get more aggressive and requires limiting the VVT degrees and springs but still have a street friendly drive.