Can you run a cool air intake in the winter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'm looking at investing in a cool air intake, I have recently put duals on my 2012 ram 1500 outdoorsman with a high flow muffler. What CAI do you guys recommend? or do they really do anything? and also the major question is can you run it in the winter? or will it hurt my motor? also has anyone had any problems with the check engine light coming on or any other problems with them?

thanks in advance!!!!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
There is nothing wrong with running a cold air intake in the winter. If you dont have a tuner yet, I would do that before the intake though.

OP
OP
watsy444

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so like a bully dog system or something like that?

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Instead of bully dog go with a DiabloSport intune or Trinity.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I may have misunderstood your post about the Bullydog. They make an intake as well, so I thought you were referring to their intake system.

If looking at tuners, then definitely go with Diablo over Bullydog. The Diablo i2 or Trinity are your best bet, and it gets even better with the Hemifever custom tuning that we offer. We include the custom tune for free with the Trinity, and it is onoy a $20 upgrade on the i2.

OP
OP
watsy444

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I may have misunderstood your post about the Bullydog. They make an intake as well, so I thought you were referring to their intake system.

If looking at tuners, then definitely go with Diablo over Bullydog. The Diablo i2 or Trinity are your best bet, and it gets even better with the Hemifever custom tuning that we offer. We include the custom tune for free with the Trinity, and it is onoy a $20 upgrade on the i2.

ok so if you do that can is cause any problems with the check engine light coming on? and if you go in for a emission test will it still pass with it plugged in? or do you have to unplug it and reset to stock?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Custom tuning will not cause any engine lights, and you do not have to remove the tuning to pass your emissions test. The only time I would remove the tuning is if/when you take it to the dealership for service. If the dealership flashes over your custom tuning, then it will lock out your tuner, so its always best to play it safe and just return to stock tuning before taking it to the dealership.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Matt has hit the nail on the head here ^

I've got the S&B and I'm happy with it, I bought it from Matt (Moe's Performance). I also have a Diablo Trinity with a Hemifever custom tune, I'm very happy with that too.

OP
OP
watsy444

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
whats the difference between trinity and the intune???

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The performance gains are identical between the 2 tuners. The Trinity has a monitor that allows you to view your gauges and record 0-60, 1/8th, and 1/4 mile times. It also works on just about every American made vehicle from 2000-up. This tuner can only be used on 1 vehicle at a time.

The i2 does not have a monitor or allow you to record 0-60, 1/8th, or 1/4 mile times. It is also only going to work on Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. A big bonus to the i2 is that you can purchase multiple licenses from Diablo which will allow you to tune more than 1 vehicle at a time.

Hp/Tq gains and all transmission and tq management tuning is the exact same between the i2 and Trinity.