Carven or magnaflow muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with a 14" magnaflow muffler on it. It sounded alright until I put the long tube headers on with no cats. It got pretty loud. It was still alright until last week when I changed the exhaust from side exit to rear exit. I don't know if it is louder but there is definitely more noise in the cab. I am looking for a quieter muffler. I was going to go with a 24" magnaflow but have seen a few people on here talking about Carven mufflers and they have one on their site that says it is recommended for applications with headers. Does anyone have experience with both of these brands? Or have any other suggestions I should look into to quiet it down a little (besides install cats)? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you want quieter? Go with the 24 inch magna flow. The carven is just one extremely pissed off muffler... The carven is just a straight through hollow design. No packing no nothing to deaden sound... My son installed one on his 5.4L 3V FX4... The muffler sounds amazing!!! But by no means on the quiet side. He still has stock exhaust manifolds and cats.

OP
OP
jwheeler

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks. I found some sound clips on YouTube and they sound nice. It is just hard to tell how loud they are.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you want a bad ass sound, go with carven.. If you want quieter, don't go with carven lol

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always run MagnaFlow. I had a 14" on my 09 and was great. Not too loud until you stepped on it. I'm now running true duals into an 18" MagnaFlow and its a little louder than the 14" because of the true duals. Can barely hear it on the highway but give it some gas and it sounds awesome.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree with thes guys on here... Go with a longer body Magnaflow. Magnaflow will give you a nice sound but not as throaty as a Flowmaster. And like the other guys say, Carven is built for loudness. So, I'd go with the 24" Maganflow in your case.

Adam

OP
OP
jwheeler

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help fellas. I will get a 24" magnaflow ordered up from Moe's. I liked the way my 14" sounded until I took the stock manifolds off. I talked to someone from Carven on Facebook and he said unless I have a Magnapack then the Carven muffler won't be any better. I like a badass, loud exhaust but thinking I am getting too old.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
love my 14'' Magnaflow, but if you want quieter Carven isn't the way to go! Try the 18'' or 24'' Magnaflow!!

Last edited:

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
it's usually the piping that causes the in cab resonance and I've found when piping was run out to stock location in rear, it got pretty loud incab...but when I had it dumped post cab, it got really quiet incab besides the rhythmic v8 sound. I run the 5 x 11 x 22 magnaflow.

exhaust.jpg

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
man I'm reeling here. Every side exit I ever had was WAY louder than out the back. I must be remembering it wrong?

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
when I did it side exit before rear tire...it was really loud, but no drone, when I did it running out the rear location, it was a little quieter but the drone was deafening at around 2k rpms, so I decided I was gonna dump it post axle (because my bro in law dumped his pre axle, it was soo loud my sister vowed never to ride with him again, he changed it to post axle and it was night and day, much quieter, sounded more muscular)... because of the previous experiences, I initially asked my muffler guy to also add a resonator to the system. When he dumped it post axle, he forgot to add the reso and just said if it was still too loud, he would add it in. Because of the sound I was use to, when I started my truck my ears started to ring because it was so quiet in cab... I was thrilled because outside, it sounded totally muscular and beefy, not loud... this was totally what I was after. Since I have dual cutouts, I can go from just a little louder than stock to full on nascar :)

vids don't do it justice :)

th_cutouts2_zps7a895401.jpg
th_IMG_2549.jpg

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chef - I think it sounds pretty good man. It sounds healthy when you get on it. Will you post up on here when you get that first ticket for loud exhaust? :)

Reactions: SyN
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the 24" MagnaFlow on mine. Love the sound, wish is was a little louder, probably sound good with the headers.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
Chef - I think it sounds pretty good man. It sounds healthy when you get on it. Will you post up on here when you get that first ticket for loud exhaust? :)

lol, I'll never get a loud ticket as my magnaflow is pretty quiet...AND my cutouts close fast enough (when opened)... had it happen at a light, I was makin a left turn next to a truck who thought his exhaust was loud, opened the cutouts and was roarin as I was makin the left turn and out of the corner of my eye I saw a cop giving someone a ticket... as I was approaching I could see him start to look up to see where the roar was coming from and at that instant my finger was on the close button and as I passed him I could see the puzzled look he had as he was turning every which way to figure it out :roflsquared::roflsquared: