Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 for a "14 5.7l?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright so reading this and other forums have gotten me paranoid.

I have used the local meineke for oil changes and when if needed between changes added Mobil 1. But reading that Chrysler recommends only certain oils has got me thinking.

I see that the Castrol Edge has the rating approved by Chrysler but Mobil 1 doesn't. Should I be worried about using the Mobil. I have used Castrol GTX for years when I had smaller cars at the recommendation of more than one friend who was a mechanic.

I also see most seem to say use Pennzoil but at almost $10 more per 5 quart jug it seems like I am paying for a label? Am I right, just paranoid or overthinking this? LOL

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also how accurate is the oil life indicator? I have had my truck for 14 month and put less than 14k on it.
8eddfb4e6daaa57e5ec596526730cbed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read syn thread, read about Moly, Detergents, Esters, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, GtL, etc. If you think all synthetics are equal, you literaly aren't at step one. PQIA is an unbiased org that tests oils. Here are the results of 5w30, the weight many of us run. Look at the charts and different formulas.

Moly Basics.

Then there are other fatcorers within the same brand,take Penzoil for example since you brought it up. PYB the cheapest has over 200ppm moly, more then their synthetics EXCEPT for the oil specifically made for the hemi PUP 0w40. So plug in learn a little read a little it's all good. If you don't have the "tick", you can get away with running M1, the costco deal is always the best long running deal deal in oil.

Also, research filtration, many of us run synthetic filters here's the list= Royal Purple, Wix XP, Fram Ultra, Napa Platinum, Amsoil.

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have read through about 90 pages on the SYN thread. And based upon what you have written and others have chimed in on the consensus best seem to be Redline, Amsoil then Pennzoil Ultra followed by Platinum. Also a higher molybdenum content seems to smooth the Hemi tick. But the oils I asked about above and the pennzoil all have roughly the same molybdenum. The standard oil from pennzoil has a molybdenum of about 200 which is significantly higher. Would it be best then to blend the standard pennzoil with the platinum or ultra. It seems it's hard to find the ultra as I have looked online and most stores say out of stock. I was figuring a 5 qt jug of the synthetic and then two qts of the standard pennzoil to increase the molybdenum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk