Catch Can $$ Does It Matter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's obvious it makes sense to install a catch can. What I don't get, is what is the real gain paying more vs. less? I see prices as high as $350 and as low as $50 with most in the $130 range. The higher priced seem to tout the latest and greatest of the new and improved internal technology. It would seem to imply that the average and lower priced cannot perform as well. Is it really that complex. Looking to get one and would need to justify why I should buy at top dollar.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
With you on that I seen no reason this type of product should be much over $100 bucks.

Shoot I had my Cummins just vented to the air and may just do this on my Hemi.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I bought mine from Moe's. Made for the Hemi and easy installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yes, the additional cost on higher end cans does make a difference if you have an engine that needs the benefit of the additional features. I'm running an Arrington v2 OAS after having gone through a single BT can, then a UPR can, then a sual catch can setup. I'm running a lot of boost so I have a lot of blow by and am now running an independent vacuum scavenging system which is totally not what most people are running but it's an example of when the additional cost of catch cans can start making a big difference in performance.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm running a lot of boost so I have a lot of blow by and am now running an independent vacuum scavenging system which is totally not what most people are running but it's an example of when the additional cost of catch cans can start making a big difference in performance.

Now here is an example of proper usage. A stock engine doesn't need a catch can, it is nothing more than a "make you feel good" thing.

I have heard that the more expensive catch cans include higher quality window decals to ensure the best possible horsepower gain.

Good one!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Basically the biggest difference is quality of materials, split can vs. single case, drain vs. threaded top.

I think $350 is way too much, $50 seems a bit cheap and I'd want to see it before I bought it and, $100 - $150 is the going price for a well made, effective catch can.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 and have run a BT catch can on it since almost new. My throttle body stays cleaner, it's amazing to see what it traps and keeps from going back into the throttle body and intake manifold; and it fits well. Despite the difference of opinion on whether or not you need it, bottom line for me is that it doesn't add any HP to my vehicle's performance but it does let me keep the 425 HP I have.

CC04.jpg

CC03.jpg

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, Moes was my choice if I go for the average cost. True or not, I have seen some say you can lose a little performance, but I'm not concerned with that. I only need an offroad adventure functional vehicle and want to take care of my truck. Im not much of a nascar driver; the tune, exhaust and CAI are plenty for my needs and helped a lot after the lift, light bar and surf racks. If I decide to finalize my gain losses by mounting a 6 foot brick wall to my front bumper, I'll go with the higher end catch can and will put the decal on my window to compensate for the gain loss. Maybe I'll even ask for a few extra decals for each window. Lol...Thanks all!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah its just a feel good thing, all that oil/crap going back into the motor unfiltered is good for it.. lol

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Basically the biggest difference is quality of materials, split can vs. single case, drain vs. threaded top.

I think $350 is way too much, $50 seems a bit cheap and I'd want to see it before I bought it and, $100 - $150 is the going price for a well made, effective catch can.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 and have run a BT catch can on it since almost new. My throttle body stays cleaner, it's amazing to see what it traps and keeps from going back into the throttle body and intake manifold; and it fits well. Despite the difference of opinion on whether or not you need it, bottom line for me is that it doesn't add any HP to my vehicle's performance but it does let me keep the 425 HP I have.

CC04.jpg

CC03.jpg

Where did you get your catch can I like the look especially since it says SRT on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I bought a $30 catch can off ebay. I replaced the cheap ass hoses with marine fuel line, added a ball valve to the bottom of it for easy draining and threw in a chunk of copper chore boy scrubber inside for the oil to accumulate on. Used a piece of aluminum angle to mount it.

It works as good as the Moes version judging by the pictures thread on here.

You're paying for a large chunk of machined aluminum with better oil accumulation, better hoses and a mounting solution when you buy Moe's. OR you could save some money, buy an el'cheapo and upgrade it to perform the same function for less than half the cost.

The cheap ass ones don't work for **** out of the box. You have to modify it.

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now here is an example of proper usage. A stock engine doesn't need a catch can, it is nothing more than a "make you feel good" thing.

Good one!
Just curious why you think a stock motor doesnt need it?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got that one from Billet Technology

Thanks, checked them out and prices are reasonable. Not sure if I am going to go all nuts under the hood cosmetically, but just in case, they offer color options and it has a clean look. I might just go with this.

Openclasspro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Good one!

Stock 17 ,on at 11 miles ,only 2200
Miles later2 ounces caught in my $130 moroso ram specific model -peace of mind ✊

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah its just a feel good thing, all that oil/crap going back into the motor unfiltered is good for it.. lol

Only a fraction of a percent of hemi owners have installed a catch can and those that don't use one seem to be getting along just fine. I have owned two Ram trucks with the hemi and haven't used a cc and my trucks have been trouble free. Can you give a single example of a Ram hemi engine failing due to not using a catch can? I didn't think so. Can you give a single example of an engine giving up the ghost sooner than a similar engine because it didn't have a catch can installed? Again, I didn't think so. Do catch cans serve a purpose? I suppose. But they're not critical to longer engine life or better performance in these engines. If you can provide proof to counter the statement about the catch can not being critical to longer engine life or better performance I will admit that I was wrong.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Only a fraction of a percent of hemi owners have installed a catch can and those that don't use one seem to be getting along just fine. I have owned two Ram trucks with the hemi and haven't used a cc and my trucks have been trouble free. Can you give a single example of a Ram hemi engine failing due to not using a catch can? I didn't think so. Can you give a single example of an engine giving up the ghost sooner than a similar engine because it didn't have a catch can installed? Again, I didn't think so. Do catch cans serve a purpose? I suppose. But they're not critical to longer engine life or better performance in these engines. If you can provide proof to counter the statement about the catch can not being critical to longer engine life or better performance I will admit that I was wrong.

not trying to fan the flames, but how many miles did you reach on your 2 rams ? thanks

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
not trying to fan the flames, but how many miles did you reach on your 2 rams ? thanks

Touche! I didn't have many miles. Traded in the 14 with 29k and have 4500 on the 17. Think I'll start a poll.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

"All that oil crap", really, you should be a soap opera writer with the level of drama you can manufacture. It is crankcase vapors that go into the engine to be burned, no oil or anything else, just a vapor.

Just curious why you think a stock motor doesnt need it?

This could be a long post but I'm not up for it. If your engine needed a catch can, it would have been designed in by the manufacturer. If it is an issue it would be there, warranty, life time warranties, etc. We drive typical engines that are designed for everyday performance, not 6-second quarter mile machines.

The catch can came from super charged racing engines where they run 1 or more bars of pressure forcing crankcase pressures. They have a reason to run a catch system, we don't nor is it needed. The vapors in the crankcase are simply passed to the cylinders and burned. Liquid does not come out of the crankcase, just vapors. The only function of the catch-can is to condense the vapors.

I've never seen anything that would suggest a catch can on our every-day drivers is anything more than good marketing (my career was at GM Powertrain). If you think you need one, make one for a few dollars. Simply take a can, baffle the insides to create a multi path for the vapors so they have time to condense. Keep your $$$ that you work hard for.

Status
Not open for further replies.