Catch Can $$ Does It Matter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Touche! I didn't have many miles. Traded in the 14 with 29k and have 4500 on the 17. Think I'll start a poll.
Let us kow when you get some real miles/exp Bryan.

You speak as if youve had them forever. Your combined mileage with two trucks is almost 30k less than I have with 1 dodge. I own (still own) 3 dodge. All over 100k. Each one has a catch can.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let us kow when you get some real miles/exp Bryan.

You speak as if youve had them forever. Your combined mileage with two trucks is almost 30k less than I have with 1 dodge. I own (still own) 3 dodge. All over 100k. Each one has a catch can.

What did I say that makes you think that I "speak as though I've had them forever"? Was it when I said "I didn't have many miles"? Are you suggesting your trucks wouldn't have lasted 100k without a catch can? I'm sure there are engines with 300k and more miles that didn't have one installed.

Can you give one example of a catch can preventing a hemi engine from being damaged? And I mean a standard hemi engine not some race engine.

Unless anyone has any proof that installing one has saved an engine or that your hemi will run better and last longer with one installed then I'd say save your money unless it just gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling to know that you installed one. We all buy unnecessary things sometimes.

Last edited:

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did I say that makes you think that I "speak as though I've had them forever"? And are you suggesting your trucks wouldn't have lasted 100k without a catch can? Can you give one example of a catch can preventing a hemi engine from dying? Or an example of an engine being damaged from not having one? And I mean a standard hemi engine not some race engine. I didn't think so.

Ya Damn Skippy I'm suggesting that.
I'm not the one making claims really. Im just A proponent of them(catch can), and for a few bucks WHY NOT? but you on the other hand are convinced they're not needed, but can't seem to convince others or provide any proof.

Your pointing out lack of proof for the PCC (pro) side isn't actually proof for your ACC (anti) case. You've heard absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, right?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Listen you talk catch cans down. Have you any proof that they don't keep your intake manifold and engine running any cleaner than running without one on your engine. I thought so. So just because you think they are a waste of money then they don't think they help keep the engine cleaner than letting that junk back through your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Listen you talk catch cans down. Have you any proof that they don't keep your intake manifold and engine running any cleaner than running without one on your engine. I thought so. So just because you think they are a waste of money then they don't think they help keep the engine cleaner than letting that junk back through your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd actually agree they do keep things a little cleaner than not having one. I see that when people post pics of the CC dumps. But there is no proof that installing one will improve or maintain original performance over not having one or make an engine last longer than not installing one.

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd actually agree they do keep things a little cleaner than not having one. I see that when people post pics of the CC dumps. But there is no proof that installing one will improve or maintain original performance over not having one or make an engine last longer than not installing one.
There is no proof it doesn't either.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

It is all well and good to express an opinion and have a sensible debate. As soon as you start to personally attack a member because they differ with your opinion then it's gone too far.

Enjoy the debate and don't make it personal.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Touche! I didn't have many miles. Traded in the 14 with 29k and have 4500 on the 17. Think I'll start a poll.

thanks bryan. i have no idea if a CC is needed or not. i just wonder, if there are benefits, they might not be apparent until well after 100000 miles. if not, the CC won't hurt anything, and they look cool in the engine bay.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say, "to each his own" on catch cans. Not sure why they don't come with all vehicles. Lack of maintenance and overfilling could be resolved with bigger cans and/or sensors. Lube shops, including the dealership would love to charge an extra 5-10 bucks to spend a couple minutes dumping it for you. Kinda like the ripoff on labor costs for windshield wiper replacement.

I have spent time and money cleaning throttle bodies, engine, etc.... I want want to minimize this and keep it clean and figure it will save me some time and money in the long run and can potentially pay for itself. This is a care and maintenance mod, not a performance mod IMO. Besides, after the thousands spent on mods and the vehicle itself, this is not much money to spend at this point.

Maybe the catch can is "bad for business" and that is why they don't come with the vehicles. Implying this will minimize future maintenance costs and potentially provide for less breakdown of parts and a longer/healthier lasting engine. Who knows, lol... After all, my computer in my pocket is far more advanced than the large dinosaur desktop I had 20 years ago. Yet, we have had the same concept with our engines for over a century. Hard to believe we can't do better with our vehicles IMO. Yeah, we do have all kinds of new electronic technology in the vehicles with a million sensors that go bad or don't pinpoint the precise fault, resulting in testing and/throwing unnecessary parts at your vehicle. This is "good for business" and outweighs profits to be made on servicing catch cans during an oil change. "Money talks and honesty walks" is a rampant mantra on this planet. There is such a concept called "PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE" and it is completely legal and is out in full force in almost every product you buy. This is a repeat business technique designed for continued profits and survival. Building to last is long gone and shareholders want nothing to do with it. For example, our decades old skil 100 planer in our shop will continue to outlast any other modern planer we buy for our shop.

So, "to each his own". I'm going to rock a catch can in my truck and I am going to feel good about it! And just maybe, I might get a little piece of "sticking it to the man" with it. :head3:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
thanks bryan. i have no idea if a CC is needed or not. i just wonder, if there are benefits, they might not be apparent until well after 100000 miles. if not, the CC won't hurt anything, and they look cool in the engine bay.

I replaced my 2003 Tahoe with 300,000 miles on it back in April of 2013. I sold it to a local man who is still running it. It never had a catch-can. At 247,000 miles, I developed an intake gasket leak and had to pull the intake, it was clean. Like I've said in other threads about catch-cans, it is all marketing and Internet rumors.

Often when we acquire a new vehicle, we want to treat our new "baby" with the best of everything we can find but we sometimes fail at validating the value add from credible sources. Octane in fuel is a good example, 93 octane is marketed as "premium" fuel but in reality, the octane level is too high for the 5.7L Hemi resulting in difficulty of the cylinder to create an at once explosion optimizing the created pressure. Simply read one of the octane threads, you will read some fairly bizarre claims which are just complete non-sense.

There is no study supporting the use of a catch can, there is no study supporting not using a catch can, in the context of vehicles bought off the show room floor. If a catch-can added value to the operations of the engine, the engineers would have designed it into the emissions of the engine. The only real design about a catch-can is the marketing, $100 plus dollars, you have to be kidding, it is a passive device that only condenses the vapors.

We all have, at different degrees, a level of common sense. Our reasoning should tell us to look for justification before actions, to identify and understand a problem, then to seek out a solution and prove-out the solution before we invest and implement.

Like some of the aftermarket cold air induction kits, some of the catch-cans offered are under the hood eye candy, I'll give you that. Don't invest in either because neither will return benefits except for the possibility of dirtier air going into your engine.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
"All that oil crap", really, you should be a soap opera writer with the level of drama you can manufacture. It is crankcase vapors that go into the engine to be burned, no oil or anything else, just a vapor.

This could be a long post but I'm not up for it. If your engine needed a catch can, it would have been designed in by the manufacturer. If it is an issue it would be there, warranty, life time warranties, etc. We drive typical engines that are designed for everyday performance, not 6-second quarter mile machines.

The catch can came from super charged racing engines where they run 1 or more bars of pressure forcing crankcase pressures. They have a reason to run a catch system, we don't nor is it needed. The vapors in the crankcase are simply passed to the cylinders and burned. Liquid does not come out of the crankcase, just vapors. The only function of the catch-can is to condense the vapors.

I've never seen anything that would suggest a catch can on our every-day drivers is anything more than good marketing (my career was at GM Powertrain). If you think you need one, make one for a few dollars. Simply take a can, baffle the insides to create a multi path for the vapors so they have time to condense. Keep your $$$ that you work hard for.

Your funny..lol Yeap trying to create drama was just what I was going after :happy107:

Yes a bunch of oily crap is what comes out of those catch cans, no its not just oil look at the pictures of when the guys dump them.

Again there is no proof one way or the other, and maybe some people want their throttle body and intake clean or try anyway..

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Your funny..lol Yeap trying to create drama was just what I was going after :happy107:

Yes a bunch of oily crap is what comes out of those catch cans, no its not just oil look at the pictures of when the guys dump them.

Again there is no proof one way or the other, and maybe some people want their throttle body and intake clean or try anyway..

Oh, brother! Nothing I said has a hint of drama.

The "oily crap" is the result of condensation of the vapors that escape the crankcase. What the exact contents of the vapor are I don't know. Any time you condense a vapor, the result is a liquid so I would expect a catch-can to have the "oily crap" in it.

The point is, it isn't necessary to add one, there are no gains, you are not going to prevent anything. The only danger is if you add one and forget to empty it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Never said YOU were creating drama ! you said I was by saying they had oily crap in the catch can !

"All that oil crap", really, you should be a soap opera writer with the level of drama you can manufacture. It is crankcase vapors that go into the engine to be burned, no oil or anything else, just a vapor."

With out a catch can there is in fact oil/moisture/grit that goes back into the motor and it can collect on the throttle body on the intake and on top of the valves creating a carbon build up and then goes into the cylinder to get burnt.
How long this takes to effect the motor ? Well it seems that nobody really knows.

Kinda like deleting a 07.5 and up Cummins, yes it will run for thousands of miles, but most delete them to try to take care of the motor and have even less issues down the road. its all people are doing here.

Wow and thanks for the class on how a catch can works :crazy:

Wonder why you could not have gave that explanation in your first post instead of trying to just make people feel stupid for buying one ?
There is no proof either way, nobody has shown these dont work and other than catching oil vapors/grit/moisture there is no proof its helping make the motor last years longer either.

Just don't understand why it makes people feel better about themselves to come into a thread just to put others down and disrespect their opinion on a matter. ?
Must just be "that make you feel good thing.".

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Obviously some of you didn't get the message.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.