Catch can question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAram22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys so today on my 2010 I installed my vararam.
First thing, for the price the vararam seems very cheaply built and I'm not too happy with it. But that's a story for another time.
The real problem is that when I was installing the pcv breather I noticed there was oil all in the tube going to the stock air box. I cleaned it out and installed the breather. But my question is, is this common? And will a catch can fix it?
I honestly, don't know much about catch cans so any info will help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure where you found oil but my catch can collects about a half cup of oil every 1000 miles. I'm glad it's installed!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He found it in the hose going to his intake - and yes that's exactly why catch cans are made.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok guys so today on my 2010 I installed my vararam.
First thing, for the price the vararam seems very cheaply built and I'm not too happy with it. But that's a story for another time.
The real problem is that when I was installing the pcv breather I noticed there was oil all in the tube going to the stock air box. I cleaned it out and installed the breather. But my question is, is this common? And will a catch can fix it?
I honestly, don't know much about catch cans so any info will help

The hose going to your air box is the crankcase breather. The Vararam comes with a small filter to replace the crankcase breather hose.

The PCV is located on the back passenger side of the engine and vents via hard plastic tube to the underside of the throttle body.

Hemi engines produce a lot of blow by (slightly higher compression, shorter piston skirts, fewer rings than in the old days) and if your PCV isn't keeping up, its reasonable to find your crankcase breather is working backward when under pressure.

More likely its because you have a seven year old Hemi. A lot of oil vapor can condense over time. For example, when you turn the vehicle off and the PCV is no longer venting the crankcase, but the engine is still hot. Your crankcase breather becomes an easy path to release heat related residual gasses from the crankcase. The hoses cool faster than the engine block, so the gases condense in the hose and creep as liquid toward your air box over time propelled by additional warm gases after shut off. That wont happen any longer with the filter from your Vararam--you just have to monitor and replace/clean it from time to time.

You really don't want your engine pumping blow-by 'products' back into your combustion cycle, but that's where a catch can comes in and that's on the other side of the engine between PCV and TB.

You might want to pull your TB (easy 4 bolts) and see if seven years of schmutz has goo'd up your intake. If you see glazing on TB use brake cleaner on a rag, not spray TB cleaner as the spray can short the electronics. When you replace the TB exercise caution because that's a plastic intake manifold--no need to go full gorilla tight.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Casper: Thank U!
For that very detailed post...
I (Myself) appreciate it...

LAram: A few say the CC is not necessary & a waste of money!

These are the same ones who will not blink an eye to spending
A--$2K/$4K on Wheels & Tires
B--$800/$1K on Stereo & Speakers/Subs
C--$400/$3K on performance/aftermarket parts for their Ram
I can go on but I will stop there...

Really? These are not a waste of $$ & Totally necessary?
Truth be told they don't think a CC is Necessary (so the ones who don't believe as they do are wrong). Really Kinda comical actually!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LAram22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hose going to your air box is the crankcase breather. The Vararam comes with a small filter to replace the crankcase breather hose.

The PCV is located on the back passenger side of the engine and vents via hard plastic tube to the underside of the throttle body.

Hemi engines produce a lot of blow by (slightly higher compression, shorter piston skirts, fewer rings than in the old days) and if your PCV isn't keeping up, its reasonable to find your crankcase breather is working backward when under pressure.

More likely its because you have a seven year old Hemi. A lot of oil vapor can condense over time. For example, when you turn the vehicle off and the PCV is no longer venting the crankcase, but the engine is still hot. Your crankcase breather becomes an easy path to release heat related residual gasses from the crankcase. The hoses cool faster than the engine block, so the gases condense in the hose and creep as liquid toward your air box over time propelled by additional warm gases after shut off. That wont happen any longer with the filter from your Vararam--you just have to monitor and replace/clean it form time to time.

You really don't what your engine pumping blow-by 'products' back into your combustion cycle, but that's where a catch can comes in and that's on the other side of the engine between PCV and TB.

You might want to pull your TB (easy 4 bolts) and see if seven years of schmutz has goo'd up your intake. If you see glazing on TB use brake cleaner on a rag, not spray TB cleaner as the spray can short the electronics. When you replace the TB exercise caution because that's a plastic intake manifold--no need to go full gorilla tight.
Awesome man, thank you

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Casper: Thank U!
For that very detailed post...
I (Myself) appreciate it...

LAram: A few say the CC is not necessary & a waste of money!

These are the same ones who will not blink an eye to spending
A--$2K/$4K on Wheels & Tires
B--$800/$1K on Stereo & Speakers/Subs
C--$400/$3K on performance/aftermarket parts for their Ram
I can go on but I will stop there...

Really? These are not a waste of $$ & Totally necessary?
Truth be told they don't think a CC is Necessary (so the ones who don't believe as they do are wrong). Really Kinda comical actually!

I blink my eyes for all of that and I add:

D-- $100 or more on a catch can :happy107:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
$100 = Cheaper then a months supply of *****/Cigarettes/Drugs! --->Talk about A total waste of money and totally not necessary.

At least with the catch can you don't have to worry about catching or digesting yourself with cancer.

It's just interesting how so many worry about involve themselves in others who want to know more information/install one.
When there are so many other things to concern themselves with or worry about.

Oh **** forgot---> :happy107:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
$100 = Cheaper then a months supply of *****/Cigarettes/Drugs! --->Talk about A total waste of money and totally not necessary.

At least with the catch can you don't have to worry about catching or digesting yourself with cancer.

It's just interesting how so many worry about involve themselves in others who want to know more information/install one.
When there are so many other things to concern themselves with or worry about.

Oh **** forgot---> :happy107:

good thing beer is not on the list!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
LARAM, for me the possible benefits of CC out weigh the any of the negatives. if you read the oil thread you will find some pretty sharp guys who have done their research and post their results and practice what the post. they have catch cans and that was good enough for me. i like a clean throttle body.