Catch cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone tried some of the cans off of eBay or other sites.
A pic of the two I found.
Both are under $40.00
4usyze4e.jpg

pavy5evu.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Odd, wonder how you drain it, looks alot more detailed as far as installation will go, had mine on it 5-7 minutes.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've seen them, but am unsure how they're drained. For 40 bucks, WTH do you have to lose? That's 100 less than others right? I've seen people make them out of PVC pipe before! lol

My guess is there's nothing in it to slow the speed of the oil and let it drop out of suspension though. Most cheap ones are just a can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it is like a universe kit. Some of those fittings might not be needed for the rams. I read some stuff on club frontier and there is a drain plug I think. It is an empty can for the most part. When you get you open it up and fill it 3/4 of the way with steel wool. Done.
Idk. Don't think I like it

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen them, but am unsure how they're drained. For 40 bucks, WTH do you have to lose? That's 100 less than others right? I've seen people make them out of PVC pipe before! lol

Chewy are you running a catch can?

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This would be an alternative to the DIY Campbell Hausfeld Oil/Water separator, but I don't think it's an alternative to the real thing. Please let us know if you buy, and how it works out.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was a little hesitant to drop $135 on a catch can at first. I was looking at some of the cheaper ones, too. I ultimately went with the Billet Technology. After getting it, I'm glad I did. It is a high quality item, and was very easy to install.

2012 R/T Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm all for spending less but sometimes you get what you pay for. The problem with steel wool is some fine particles can get pulled into your intake.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'm all for spending less but sometimes you get what you pay for. The problem with steel wool is some fine particles can get pulled into your intake.

Yeah... NO WAY I'd stuff it in my can. Mines hot a VERY course material in there and it works great. It was made by some billet company that made them for GTO's and G8's for a short period of time. It's really high quality with brass fittings and not the plastic ones like I've seen.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of the time that is the case. But it is just a catch can and I can't see spending
$100+ on one... At this time. Which is why I asked if anyone had tried any of the cheaper ones. I'm most likely when I get home do some more research unless someone chimes in here and maybe order the black sick speed one.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
What's odd is I couldn't find it posted on THEIR site at all. ??? It looks like they sell a crap ton of cheap Chinese stuff and that's about it.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the time that is the case. But it is just a catch can and I can't see spending
$100+ on one... At this time. Which is why I asked if anyone had tried any of the cheaper ones. I'm most likely when I get home do some more research unless someone chimes in here and maybe order the black sick speed one.
Does this mean if you're not happy with the $40 unit you would buy a BT or other more expensive catch can at a later date? That would bring the total to almost $200, take more of your time and potentially not help much if the cheaper can doesn't perform as well, allowing sludge build up for a longer period.

Our truck has 11,000km and when I flipped the butterfly plate open to clean the TB while I was installing the S&B CAI, it STUNK like oil/gas. I was surprised how bad it was after only this many Km's.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I'm not happy with the $40 within 90 days I will return it.
Then yes I may try the BT.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I made mine using a large air separator from Home Depot. It might not look as cool but it works and I have had no issues thus far.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Smiley in gonna send you a PM bud. Thanks

ob1sw4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll come out and say it - that looks like some cheap ricer ****, LOL.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Either way you go, I'm a believer in these now. I've only had my Billet Technology from Moe's on less than two weeks and there is already enough oil in it to slosh around...not a lot, but just barely enough.

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i'm shocked at how much oil is collecting in these cans this is the first gas truck I've messed with in 8 years (been wrenchin on diesels) with diesels all we ever did was a ccv rerought and ran a 5/8 house down the fire wall behind the front tire (commonly none as a puke tube) and never once in 4 different highly built trucks have I ever seen anything come out of that tube (zero stains on driveway) you'd get a wiff of oil vapor now and then but that's it some of the pics you guys have posted of all that crap in the can I can't wait till mine shows up Tuesday