Catless LT headers and stock exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious to know if anyone have installed LT and kept everything else from the muffler to the back? If you did how did it sound.

I'll be installing my headers soon and I'm debating if I'll have the HF cats installed or not. Without them the truck would be pretty loud with my Magnaflow 18" so I was thinking of putting back the stock muffler on.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Myself if I was gp6ing to install headers I would not leave the stock muffler in place, kinda ruins the high flow of the headers with that restrictive muffler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ill try with the mufflex 18" first, but after 2 winters it's already rusted pretty bad. It really sucks that mufflex didn't use SS with their kit.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Cowbell_Fever123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try magnaflow or even better borla muffler in that case, both use SS, but i believe that borla is better quality.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I'm running LT headers with no cats and a magnaflow, and it's loud when you get on it. But cruzing it's not to bad.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try magnaflow or even better borla muffler in that case, both use SS, but i believe that borla is better quality.

The mufflex kit is a Magnaflow SS muffler, but everything they welded to it is not SS. Even my mufflex j-pipe is now rusting away after 1 winter... Junk!

I'm running LT headers with no cats and a magnaflow, and it's loud when you get on it. But cruzing it's not to bad.

Well plan have changed, I should have a new set of headers next week with cats. So my current setup should do just fine, I'll just need to address the rust issue.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The mufflex kit is a Magnaflow SS muffler, but everything they welded to it is not SS. Even my mufflex j-pipe is now rusting away after 1 winter... Junk!

Well plan have changed, I should have a new set of headers next week with cats. So my current setup should do just fine, I'll just need to address the rust issue.

If you got many questions on the install I try and help, took me 15 hours :( but I had a mid pipe issue and a broken header bolt. What brand did you get? And do you have a tuner?

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you got many questions on the install I try and help, took me 15 hours :( but I had a mid pipe issue and a broken header bolt. What brand did you get? And do you have a tuner?

15h wow I was hoping around 8h. What kind of problem did you have with the mid pipe?

I have a brand new set of catless Stainless Work, but I'm selling those to go with cats. I've ordered ARH and they should come in Monday. I have the Diablo i2 tuner.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a set of ARH with cats on about 2 weeks ago and it took me about 9 or 10 hours to install. The fitment was top notch. The only thing I didn't like about them is how close the Y set to my brake lines, but after wrapping the lines with some cool tape it seems to be a non issue.

I'm currently running the flowmaster outlaw direct fit muffler and truck sounds damn good. But the same thing is happening with it, after just one winter it is already starting to rust pretty badly. I was thinking of trying out the Carven Progressive Series Direct Fit Muffler has it seems to be a better build quality.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
15h wow I was hoping around 8h. What kind of problem did you have with the mid pipe?

I have a brand new set of catless Stainless Work, but I'm selling those to go with cats. I've ordered ARH and they should come in Monday. I have the Diablo i2 tuner.

You went with ARH so half the battle is won, I went with Kooks and the Mid pipe leaks very bad. Poop clamp design and I had to cut a piece to get it to fit.
The headers made the exhaust literally 10x as loud as I had planed so had to do a muffler swap also.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You went with ARH so half the battle is won, I went with Kooks and the Mid pipe leaks very bad. Poop clamp design and I had to cut a piece to get it to fit.
The headers made the exhaust literally 10x as loud as I had planed so had to do a muffler swap also.

Nice.

There's 2 clamps if I recall with the ARH, would you suggest to use a high temp sealant to prevent leaks?

I also have to look for that cool tape CTD mentionned.

Picked up my headers today, but I'm going to Vegas for a week (for work) and then I'm on vacation with the kids, so the install will have to wait another 2 weeks...

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well with the headers and high flow cats it's too loud with the mufflex 18. I've reinstall the stock the exhaust and I'll order a 24" magnaflow muffler to replace the stock one as one on my teenager boys said it sound like a tin can now... any other stainless steel free flowing exhaust that is quieter than the 24 maggie? Performance wise the stock exhaust is choking the truck a lot, can't believe how less responsive the truck is since ive put back the stock one.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well with the headers and high flow cats it's too loud with the mufflex 18. I've reinstall the stock the exhaust and I'll order a 24" magnaflow muffler to replace the stock one as one on my teenager boys said it sound like a tin can now... any other stainless steel free flowing exhaust that is quieter than the 24 maggie? Performance wise the stock exhaust is choking the truck a lot, can't believe how less responsive the truck is since ive put back the stock one.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
I think u are on the right track. Typically a large magnaflow muffler is the most quiet straight thru muffler in comparison to other brands.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think u are on the right track. Typically a large magnaflow muffler is the most quiet straight thru muffler in comparison to other brands.

Should I try to get something larger than the center/offset 5x8x24 or it won't fit?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should I try to get something larger than the center/offset 5x8x24 or it won't fit?

To be honest I'm not as familiar with the 1500 as I am off the 2500/3500. I'm not sure if anything bigger would fit. Its all personal preference but I think with having cats the 24" shouldn't be too loud but like I said what's loud to one person may not be loud to another when it comes to exhaust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well after waiting 3 weeks for my 24" Magnaflow muffler I cancelled my order.

I remembered that my previous 18" (single in/out) was noticeably quieter than my 18" (single in/dual out) when I converted to the dual rear. I dig it out and had it installed this morning, kept the single side exit with resonator and it's perfect! I didn't do a cold start yet, but so far on the loudness it's what I was hoping the 24" would be and sound much deeper than the dual rear.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Heya Bassheadhemi,

Not trying to hijack a great thread, but a couple related questions?

I broke at least 1 bolt on my stock manifold and have to get under the truck anyway...do Cats quiet down the LTs? I am leaning towards ARH 1 3/4 LT's and I have the Cat-back Magnaflow single exit exhaust.

I can get away with putting headers on ONLY if it isn't crazy loud afterwards. Also, is there anything to do besides wrapping headers to take a few decibels out of the overall noise equation? I don't mind the sound when I am punching it, but startups could be problematic.

Thanks

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post a sound clip of your exhaust? I have installed arh longtubes on my truck with cats and I have a 14'' Thrush muffler. I want to get a 24'' mag but would be curious to see how this sounds. Do you get alot of the "clap" sound with yours? Mine seems to have alot and I know its becuase I went without cats. Just wanted to hear how this turned out!