Catless LT headers and stock exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heya Bassheadhemi,

Not trying to hijack a great thread, but a couple related questions?

I broke at least 1 bolt on my stock manifold and have to get under the truck anyway...do Cats quiet down the LTs? I am leaning towards ARH 1 3/4 LT's and I have the Cat-back Magnaflow single exit exhaust.

I can get away with putting headers on ONLY if it isn't crazy loud afterwards. Also, is there anything to do besides wrapping headers to take a few decibels out of the overall noise equation? I don't mind the sound when I am punching it, but startups could be problematic.

Thanks

From what I've been told and the videos I watched, catless is much louder. This is the main reason I'm selling my SW headers and went with the ARH.

Mufflex 18" + dual rear exit, the ARH with cats were a bit louder than the stock headers/cats, but sounded weird.

Stock exhaust and stock rear side exit there wasn't much sound left at the back, what was left sounded like a tin can. Also you could now hear the headers (not wrapped), maybe this was also caused by the more restricting stock muffler.

Magnaflow 18" and single side exit, it's "quieter" than it was when I had the stock headers/cats with the mufflex 18" + dual rear exit.

When I say quieter it could only be the effect of the frequency that is now lower so it sound quieter. I didn't do any decibel measurement so this is 100% subjective. If you wrap the ARH you might run into the issue of not having enough room for the dipstick tube as it need to be route between tubes. For the loudness I would say it will not make a huge difference, but I haven't done a cold start so idk.

I'll try to record a video tonight and compare with the ones I've recorded before.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Well after waiting 3 weeks for my 24" Magnaflow muffler I cancelled my order.

I remembered that my previous 18" (single in/out) was noticeably quieter than my 18" (single in/dual out) when I converted to the dual rear. I dig it out and had it installed this morning, kept the single side exit with resonator and it's perfect! I didn't do a cold start yet, but so far on the loudness it's what I was hoping the 24" would be and sound much deeper than the dual rear.

Do you think it was the single out or the resonator that made it noticeably quieter or the combination of both?
My LT's are sitting in the shed and will likely put them on next spring/summer and am debating what to do with the stock muffler. I've been thinking of the mufflex 24" and keeping the resonators in place. Wonder if that would still be too loud for the wife and neighbors. I really hate the stock muffler lol.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post a sound clip of your exhaust? I have installed arh longtubes on my truck with cats and I have a 14'' Thrush muffler. I want to get a 24'' mag but would be curious to see how this sounds. Do you get alot of the "clap" sound with yours? Mine seems to have alot and I know its becuase I went without cats. Just wanted to hear how this turned out!

yeah I'll post a new video of the startup. and yes it did sound a bit like clapping when I had the dual rear exit.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think it was the single out or the resonator that made it noticeably quieter or the combination of both?
My LT's are sitting in the shed and will likely put them on next spring/summer and am debating what to do with the stock muffler. I've been thinking of the mufflex 24" and keeping the resonators in place. Wonder if that would still be too loud for the wife and neighbors. I really hate the stock muffler lol.

The resonator on the factory single side exit does quiet it down. But I'm 100% that the deeper tone is due to the larger size pipe.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would go with the 22" Magnaflow that has the 5x11 body. It is actually quieter than the 24" with the 5x8 body.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Does anyone sell the 22" as a kit?

It is what Magnaflow uses in their catback system, but I dont know of anyone that uses it as part of a simple bolt on muffler swap.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the 22" Magnaflow that has the 5x11 body. It is actually quieter than the 24" with the 5x8 body.

Last I checked it was cheaper too but not polished iirc

Good to know that it's actually quieter than the 24 5x8, if my 18 still too loud on cold start I will probably ordered this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is what Magnaflow uses in their catback system, but I dont know of anyone that uses it as part of a simple bolt on muffler swap.

The 5x8 on the single need the offset/offset model to align, for the 5x11 offset/offset will probably not line up, but do you think the center/offset will?

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi450hp do you have a part number for that magnaflow system. And how do you know that its quieter?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have ARH headers (catted) on my 2500 and with the factory muffler it was hardly noticeable over stock manifolds. I then installed a Magnaflow cat-back kit (19200) and it's now pretty loud even with their 22" muffler and resonator that's included. So, with the cat-less kit I suspect it will be loud with anything other than a stock muffler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the cold start loudness is fine, but that resonator has to go...
[yt]iXs_wKGLT5k[/yt]

Here's in 2015 when I had only the 18" Magnaflow and removed the resonator. Sorry for the kids talking in the video.
[yt]A_M1rsqMaY4[/yt]

If the resonator delete make's it too loud, well it will be time for a catback system.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well my memory was good, the "resonator" on the single side exit quiet it down a lot. Basically it's a muffler like the Magnagflow (straight-through with perforated core).

So yeah now it's too loud and still have that weird sound, but now it's louder :idiot:. I suspect my J-Pipe is altering the flow so I will take it out and hope it change something.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I found another tail pipe with resonator locally and installed it as I couldn't stand the drone.

Here's a picture of the guts of the single side exit resonator

I don't beleive it should cause much restriction
8c41c4921cfb5eee0cf70b663848e87c.jpg

befebc0cc6978f5a5b1ae00d3126cb4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well after reviewing the videos that I took over the weekend I realize that my phone mic is garbage.

Here's one that doesn't have ton of background noise, but is much quieter than real life. In this one I removed the J-pipe and kept the factory resonator.

[yt]T_IGcAOqkPw[/yt]

I have a new phone on the way so I'll try to record again the with and without resonator to give you an idea of the difference.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to give a try the magnaflow 5x11 22" muffler.

I hope I'll be able to have it installed this week.

e03403c0410b80c9188079953632a32b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the Magnaflow 5x11 22" muffler is now off the truck. That muffler was barely louder than stock, so I went back to my Magnaflow 18" (5x9) and kept the resonator.

now I want to try a 3" to 5" tip to see if I can get a deeper sound

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here’s a video of arh long tubes (1 3/4 “)with high flow cats .... mbrp exhaust .....

Hope this helps ur decision .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds awesome, congrats. Was there any other work done to contribute to the exhaust note?

Also is a tune required when adding 1 3/4 LT HF Cat headers to a stock setup? (I only have CAI and cat back at this point)

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s a video of arh long tubes (1 3/4 “)with high flow cats .... mbrp exhaust .....

Hope this helps ur decision .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds great! truck looks awesome too