Challenger oil filter on truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I was changing my oil the other day and had an old challenger oil filter laying around that I compared to the ram filter. The challenger filter was a lot larger and I can not think of why FCA would do that for the same engine. Anyone know of a benefit or downside to using it? It will physically fit and oil pressure shouldn't be and issue.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I've used the larger ("regular" size) filters on my truck before. Many run them without issues.

They downsized to a smaller filter for the Rams around the 2013 model year because of the electric power steering, or so the story goes. Its easier to get the smaller filter in there. I don't have issues with getting either size filter in there, but after using the larger size for a few oil changes, I have gone back to the smaller (factory recommended) size just in case there are other reasons why they did it.

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes sense. It is pretty crowded under there. I'm going to use it on my next oil change.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've read there is no negatives effects for using the larger filter other than maybe it's a little more cramped in the space.