Changing Transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys so after getting my oil changed the shop did a safety inspection on my 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi and they showed me a sample of my transmission fluid and it had some black in it and they suggested that i change my transmission fluid and they quoted me 230 to do so. is that a fair price???

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that parts and labor? How long since the last time it was changed? How many miles on your truck? Where did the sample come from?(do you trust the dealership)?
Jay

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ask them what procedure they use. There is really basically two, flushed or drop the pan and change filters. I wouldn't trust a shop with either, I would do it myself then it will be done right. Drop pan replace filters, do not start truck yet (make sure the pan is sealed back using atf let cure) put back fluid from neck, dont start truck yet, go too cooler lines and unhook and put over bucket, now start truck until fluid starts coming out clean while someone is slowly dumping in quarts down neck. Or you can turn truck off and on a qrt at time if someone can't help. Only that way is 100% of the fluid replaced and new filters. No shop does this that I know of, and certainly not for 230 bucks. Use redline ester fluid, learn more Syn thread. If you might do it yourself let me know I show you the youtube on it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
depends what their method of changing transmission fluid is. if they are hooking it up to a machine and flushing it, i would pass.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Devin: very good advice above. By all means if you have the capability and tools to do it yourself do it yourself.

Do not let them hook your transmission up to a machine to do a flush by any means.

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks guys the shop im going to is call christensenautomotive here is a link
Christensen Automotive AAA Approved Auto Repair
and as for the previous maintainence done to the truck I have no idea ive only replaced tires and changed oil to my truck ive had some ac work done to my truck but nothing else as far as being able to do it myself I don't trust myself to do so, that leads me to resorting to taking it to a shop, and after just calling them on the phone they stated they use the vacuum if the mileage of the vehicle is over 80k otherwise I could end up damaging the transmission. I'm so new to this stuff that I dont know what to think :word:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2011 you are probably over due for everything-

Mopar spark Plugs-very important
Coolant- 5 year mopar HOAT don't mix coolants
Diffs front and rear, plus transfer case if 4x4
pcv

Go to oil stop, I bet they will cost you less if you are gonna let them flush it anyhow.

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so a tune up, diff fluid change for front and rear, coolant change, what is pcv?
so along with all that any idea at how much money im going to have to drop for all of this?

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also if it helps i have 96,300 miles on my truck

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oil stop everything is 60 bucks probably except cooling system which would be 80, let's use 70 to be safe.

Transmission flush should be around 70, I still think you should do it yourself
differential 70 a piece if you have 4x4
transfer case 70
cooling system 80 but don't do it unless they will use Mopar Hoat, make sure the bottle says 5year 100k. Do not let them talk you into it even if you have to bring your coolant with you.

If you have a 4x4, around 300 for everything, maybe due your front diff another time. Extra charge to upgrade to redline oil they sell it there, and it is worth the extra money by a lot.

pcv is what releases pressure from your engine, they should be replaced every 60k miles. When they clog, the pressure will leave your engine and no guarantee which gasket the pressure will go through first.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
6Y8koJ79xEWmti9p21wRuQhDNdv-zwMHOcYkRQ_ce&usqp=CAE.jpg

Use nothing else but this stuff. By pre-mix costs a little more but it's worth it to get the % right.

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks burla I really appriciate your help and to everyone else on here too, I dont live near an oil stop so im going with the Transmission shop here in town that specialize in Ram Trucks (the owner of the shop drives a 16 cummins :naughty:) and says he always has a ram on his schedule so I trust that and he has great reviews now as far as the other to do things on the list ill have to ask if he does those services as well my guess for the tranny fluid change is around 200 and a tune up ive heard #'s like 350 im not very mechanically inclined as I wish I was so I have to rely on a Mechanic shop im gonna guess ill be dropping around $1000 for everything

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For just doing fluids, you will get more for your dollar at oil stop then your local mechanic. You will get 3 items for one from your local guy. Use local guys for repairs, not fluid exchanges imo.

it doesn't have to be oil stop, any lube place will do, up to you, GL B

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your owners manual is online free, look it up. 2011 is hard to load, but 2012 or 2010 usually easy.

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are these places you speak of, im assuming all only exist in California in my neck of the woods we got a jiffy lube, les schwab, and your local mechanic (walmart doesnt count)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the trans shop friend of yours doesn't do the additional things maybe he can suggest someone he trusts. Maybe you should check and see if there are any fellow members that live close to you and may be able to lend you a hand--beer works well as an incentive. Good luck!!!
Jay

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6Y8koJ79xEWmti9p21wRuQhDNdv-zwMHOcYkRQ_ce&usqp=CAE.jpg

Use nothing else but this stuff. By pre-mix costs a little more but it's worth it to get the % right.

A quick question about the coolant. What is the difference between Mopar OAT coolant and other name brands of OAT coolants?

The reason I ask is about a month ago I switched to a 180 t stat and lost about a half gallon of coolant. So I went to my local auto parts store and bought a gallon of a different name brand premixed OAT coolant due to the fact that the nearest Ram dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away.

Is it OK to do this long has it is a OAT coolant or is there something different about the Mopar OAT coolant that our trucks need? Link bellow to the OAT coolant I purchased.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...nt-antifreeze/af2100/2496965?q=oat+antifreeze

Sorry OP don't mean to hijack your trend.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Different additives, you can see that is a 5 year coolant. At least it isn't dex, but there is a ton of stuff out there that coolants don't mix, and considering the cost of failures, I'd just opt for a flush if I were you. Use distilled water, then I think you only need two gallons Mopar as it mixes 50/50 with distilled. A lot went into the new Chrysler coolant, search the forum for coolant and read the links. The links explain some of the difference between Oats, at least dex and Chrsler Oat.

Reactions: CTD

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What are these places you speak of, im assuming all only exist in California in my neck of the woods we got a jiffy lube, les schwab, and your local mechanic (walmart doesnt count)

Jiffy lube should handle that.