check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am on a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska and back. My check engine light came on about 5,000 miles ago and figured I would not worry about it until I get home. The only thing I have found is the oil pressure gauge reads normal but the digital readout shows 90 psi where before it read in the low 50's. Do the gauge and readout work from the same sensor? Could this be the source of the check engine light? Thanks

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska and back. My check engine light came on about 5,000 miles ago and figured I would not worry about it until I get home. The only thing I have found is the oil pressure gauge reads normal but the digital readout shows 90 psi where before it read in the low 50's. Do the gauge and readout work from the same sensor? Could this be the source of the check engine light? Thanks
I don't know if they come off the same sender or not but I would be fairly sure that's where you're check engine light is coming from. I know on my old f150 that the analogue guage in the dash was basically a guage version of an idiot light, you either had oil pressure or you didn't, no variance as to what the oil pressure actually was. I would definitely get it checked out, might not be a big problem, just a sender, but if it was mine I wouldn't take the chance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

There's an updated oil pressure sensor for the 14 5.7's,so i'd guess it's the same for the 6.4's.The sensor is known to cause issues.Mine acted the same way,the digital read-out started reading high,and I had a check engine light on,when it started acting up.I had just over 28,000 mile on mine when it went south.Check and see if your sensor is weaping oil,mine started to leak slightly,not enough to really drip anywhere,but enough it was gathering up dust/dirt and making the sensor itself dirty.

5.7cmax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just came on a couple days ago but runs smooth and fine but look at the temps and the oil pressure was 99 psi and it didn't move up or down and I'm pretty sure it was at 99 when I started it cause I looked at it less than 3 blocks from where I left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any message in the evic? Imo, I wouldn't wait, I would at least get the codes read, even if it cost a few dollars at a service station.

Last edited:

5.7cmax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No messages from what I read everyone says it's the oil pressure sensor

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Any message in the evic? Imo, I wouldn't wait, I would at least get the codes read, even if it cost a few dollars at a service station.

^1, I would definitely get the codes read just to make sure you don't turn a minor problem into a major one, you know. Especially that far from home. Good luck dude and keep us posted.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn the key from off to on 3 times and it will give you the code in the display. Post it back here or google it to find what it is

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i wouldn't drive with a check engine light on for a 10000 mile trip without knowing exactly the problem is.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn the key from off to on 3 times and it will give you the code in the display. Post it back here or google it to find what it is

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

This ^^^^^^^^ and after you get the code(s) just post back here and one of us can look it up and give you the information.

5.7cmax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got mine back from dealer today said it was oil pressure switch sensor pressure back to normal and cel hasn't come back on