Check engine light after headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys my truck has been throwing a P0133 light. Every day or so since I had my headers installed last week. My question is why would this code start showing up after my header install and what does it actually mean?

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P0133:

Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)

This code indicates the engine air fuel ratio is not being adjusted by the oxygen sensor signal or the ECM as expected to do so, or not adjusted as often as expected to do so once the engine is warmed or under normal engine use.

A code P0133 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
1. The oxygen sensor is faulty
2. The wiring to the sensor is broken / frayed
3. There is an exhaust leak

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. If the code comes back, the problem is more than likely the front Bank 1 oxygen sensor.

You will likely wind up replacing it but you should also consider these possible solutions:
1.Check and fix any exhaust leaks
2. Check for wiring problems (shorted, frayed wires)
3. Check the frequency and amplitude of the oxygen sensor (advanced)
4. Check for a deteriorating / contaminated oxygen sensor, replace if necessary
5. Check for inlet air leaks
6. Check the MAF sensor for proper operation

Good luck!

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was afraid of that. I was hoping to be able to just replace the sensor. I was thinking the shop may have stretched the wires or dropped it or something. The converter sensors have yet to throw a code though.

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would that be a specific O2 sensor that I would have to buy in order to replace it? Or would it just be universal?

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would that be a specific O2 sensor that I would have to buy in order to replace it? Or would it just be universal?

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I went off and replaced that sensor I would crawl under there and make sure they're both snug in their bungs. (Sounds worse than it is.) And also make sure that they're "clicked in" to the harness. Matter of fact unclick and reclick them in to the harness. Doesn't cost anything to check that first.

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I went off and replaced that sensor I would crawl under there and make sure they're both snug in their bungs. (Sounds worse than it is.) And also make sure that they're "clicked in" to the harness. Matter of fact unclick and reclick them in to the harness. Doesn't cost anything to check that first.

Not a bad idea. I may give that a shot tomorrow after work.