Check engine light came on....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried to start my truck to go to work this morning and it wouldn't start. Immediately thought it was the battery since it had all the symptoms when I turned the key. After I got home from work I tried to jump it and when I finally got it cranked, the engine light came on with it. Went to interstate to get the battery replaced and was told that my alternator wasn't working properly and instead of my battery being charged, it was being depleted.

Going to try and get a new alternator tomorrow, but I'm sure that the dealership will try and pull some bs that my HID's and two 10" subs are the cause of it and in-turn void my warranty.

Anyone else have a problem similar to this? I'm still not 100% it's the problem, but it's where I'm going to start.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What was the code that came up?

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dave has some kick ass alternators you should look into if the dealer doesn't replace yours

OP
OP
TXKID

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was the code that came up?

Wasn't able to run a scanner on it as of right now. I only got readings from the battery tester at interstate which lead to this conclusion

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'd start with your dealer. As long as they don't see your HIDs or subs, they probably won't even think twice about them...at least my dealer wouldn't. Heck, mine just replaced the lower control arm AND lower ball joint all over a cracked ball joint boot. No mention of my lift or tires, other than the fact they wanted to know where I had the lift installed (at their dealer).

OP
OP
TXKID

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped it off at the local car shop to get a reading and they called the dealership and confirmed it was still under warranty so hopefully I'll have my truck back tomorrow

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good deal. Glad they are getting it fixed for ya. I had my alternator replaced around 15k, had a bearing going bad in it.