Check Gas cap light, now check engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My dash warning to "check gas cap" came in this past week. I checked the cap, taking it off and on several times. Light didn't go off.

This afternoon, the check engine light came on, so I used my Bluetooth OBDII dongle and my pad to pull the code(s). Interestingly, two different apps showed one different fault code (and two the same):

uploadfromtaptalk1395111631922.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395111654131.jpg

Its going to be a few days before I can get in to a dealership. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

2013 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab (2 wheel drive) HEMI
Just over 9100 miles on the odometer (bought new 12 1/2 months ago).

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
yup, i cleared the code after making sure my gas cap clicked, at least, 7 times.

no more check engine light

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You have an evaporative emission problem. Gas cap is the most common. It means there is a path for gas to evaporate to the atmosphere.

That could just be a bad seal on your gas cap, or it could be a fuel line, or injection system fault--could also be an evaporative leak only when running winter formula gas too.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it's an EVAP problem. I had the same problem about 3 years ago . I bought a new gas cap, cleared code, but that didn't work. Hoping for a "cheap" fix.
Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find a leak with the smoke test,(in the gas tank.) Although, they did smell a little gas around the bottom of the tank.
So,...they replaced the gas tank, the fuel pump, some o-rings and another part and all set. Cost to me,.......0 dollars. Didn't even have to pay the deductible, because I had the extended warranty. Under MA law,...it was fixed for free is what the dealership told me. Works for me! lol :pepper: