Chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
gonna want programmer not a chip

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
A chip is an item (basically a circuit board) that is plugged into the wiring harness between the PCM and the rest of the engine. It's functions are very limited and basically, they tell the PCM that the engine is running lean and the PCM adds fuel to compensate. It's a very poor way to make a little bit more power.

To make a distinction today between a tuner and a programmer is almost impossible. However, previous generations of tuners had canned programs and that was it. You couldn't update them and your selection options were very limited, including tire size, shift firmness, speed limiter removal and, in some cases, raising the rev limiter.

Today's tuner aka programmer, have canned tunes + the ability to hold multiple tunes and you have a lot more program options available to you now. Some of those options are adding or reducing fuel, shift firmness in stages, adjusting knock retard, timing, different gear sets, yadda yadda yadda.

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Superchips? Isn't that the one on Youtube with shifting issues?

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Sc 3815 stacked with sct and rocking clean and true at 125k ....
Does not help since I realized this is th 4g section.
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
DiabloSport Predator would be my suggestion. I have two MOPAR vehicles with HEMI's in them and both have a Predator loaded on them. Here's my truck dyno sheet showing before and after Predator install numbers.

D08.jpg

The MegaCan runs a lot better and with the addition of an intake and exhaust, I've seen almost a 4 MPG improvement in highway mileage.

The other vehicle has the aforementioned Predator + a DiabloSport CMR tune stacked on top of that. Here's a gratuitous pic of that mod ho:

032509SF.jpg

With the CMR tune, done by a DiabloSport authorized and trained tuning shop, my SRT (stock rated 425 HP @ the crank) put out 411.4 RWHP after the tuning was completed.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
From my post above

A chip is an item (basically a circuit board) that is plugged into the wiring harness between the PCM and the rest of the engine. It's functions are very limited and basically, they tell the PCM that the engine is running lean and the PCM adds fuel to compensate. It's a very poor way to make a little bit more power.

OP
OP
B

BigB55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya but the tuners are way out of my price range
and i'm not looking so much for power but fuel efficiency without sacrificing a whole lot. would it be worth the chip temporarily until i can get a tuner?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I think they would do more harm than good. Just save up for a tuner, might even be able to find a used one as they come up for sale on the forums, and ebay.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Save your money or buy some Doritos for your chip fix.

Ya but the tuners are way out of my price range
and i'm not looking so much for power but fuel efficiency without sacrificing a whole lot. would it be worth the chip temporarily until i can get a tuner?

Last edited:

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does the dealer think about the programmers if you have to take your truck in for warranty work? Is the programmer something you have to leave in the truck for it to work or do you just upload tunes to the ECU and remove it?

biggin152

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there programmers avilable for the 4th gens now?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What does the dealer think about the programmers if you have to take your truck in for warranty work? Is the programmer something you have to leave in the truck for it to work or do you just upload tunes to the ECU and remove it?

your best bet is to return your truck to stock before taking to dealer. If they find that its tuned they might flash it on you then you are stuck with a tuner that won't work.