Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Circle D & Kooks LT

This is a discussion on Circle D & Kooks LT within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
OK gentlemen, this will be a thread about my experience with the Circle D torque Converter and Kook`s headers. I ...

Like Tree9Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013 RCSB
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Circle D & Kooks LT
OK gentlemen, this will be a thread about my experience with the Circle D torque Converter and Kook`s headers. I will try and cover everything in detail, packaging, quality, instalation and performance. The TQ I will not be installing myself, if I had access to a lift I would but I was under the truck and decided not to. Found a shop next to work that will do it for $400 this coming Tuesday.

First thing is pakaging; the Circle D came with heavy duty foam padding on all 4 sides, Beer quzie and bolts.I am very impressed with the pakaging.
The Kooks pakaging not so good, the headers and mid pipe came in 2 separate boxes, both the headers and mid pipe pieces were only wrapped in paper, no padding at all. Something to consider.
Next would be the visual inspection; Circle D is absolutely beautiful, very well made. You can tell its custom hand made Multi Disc. Very impressed, hope it performs as well as it looks.
Kooks not so much, honestly very disappointed. Maybe it's because I was a certified welder 20 years ago but not impressed. Every primary has marks on them from the bending process, like they didn't use enough padding while they were bending them. If my truck was a show truck these headers would be going back to Kooks. The welds were the primary meet the heads at the engine are average at best. The the exhaust gas transition from the engine heads into the headers is not smooth, they left a little lip on the inside of the primarys.
I hope they perform Much better than they look.
The Kooks will be ceramic coated before there installed.
Over all I'm very excited my 2013 RCSB is getting a shot in the arm but I do want to give a fair review on all aspects.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0093_1_.jpg  
Dangulo and 02ramboi like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 v8
Nice good write up. I want to eventually got some headers for mines. After there installed let me know how the gas milage and throttle response is better or same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 02ramboi View Post
Nice good write up. I want to eventually got some headers for mines. After there installed let me know how the gas milage and throttle response is better or same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The throttle response is something I can Try and articulate but the gas milage I cannot because of the Torque Converter. High stall TQ usually reduce gas milage but I have no personal experience. I will report everything I can.
02ramboi likes this.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Scratch marks on the primarys, hard to see in the pic but ruff when you run your fingers them.
Attached Thumbnails
20170603_211741.jpg  

Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lip on the inside of the primarys, not all of them have a lip but you can see the two in the pic do. Maybe that's normal but not a quality job in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
20170603_211909.jpg  
Wild one likes this.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Despite the imperfections I'm looking forward to running these headers. Sending them out this week to get coated. But first my 3400 stall is going in tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
20170604_131807.jpg   img_0088_2_.jpg  

Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
I think most of us agree that the ARH are the "best"(and most expensive of course) long tubes, but I guess I'm a little disappointed in the Kooks. I was under the impression that the quality would have been better. I hope they work out for you. Anxious to hear about how you like the new TC. Should be a "blast" off the line.
Jay
HammerHead likes this.

Pull Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
I think most of us agree that the ARH are the "best"(and most expensive of course) long tubes, but I guess I'm a little disappointed in the Kooks. I was under the impression that the quality would have been better. I hope they work out for you. Anxious to hear about how you like the new TC. Should be a "blast" off the line.
Jay
I've asked around on the ARH headers but never got an answer or just missed the response, but maybe you know....
I'm wondering if the ARH headers come together at the collector in a order of firing order in either a clockwise or counterclockwise fashion... To me this would be the only difference in the ARH vs Kooks that would lead me one way or the other... Kooks are a great product but sad to read some not so good quality.

But @HammerHead it's not just cause you are a welder, I am a novice/amature welder fabricator at best and I am that picky also.... I see quality or lack there up better than I think I can produce it myself...

2011 R/T - Motor: Diablo T-1000 w/ hemifever, Vararam intake - Susp: Beltech 3/5 drop, hellwig swabars front/rear with adjustable links, full Spohn adjustable rear components. stock r/t wheels and rubber
14.62 1/4 baseline low 12's current goal
R/T_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Can't answer your question about the ARH. Maybe Matt can.
Jay

Pull Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Jay
The minor imperfections aren't a deal breaker for me; its going to be fitment. I know they will perform better than what I have now (stock log header) LOL.
But being able to bolt the system to the truck in my garage is the most important thing for me.

Originally Posted by R/T_Fire View Post
I've asked around on the ARH headers but never got an answer or just missed the response, but maybe you know....
I'm wondering if the ARH headers come together at the collector in a order of firing order in either a clockwise or counterclockwise fashion... To me this would be the only difference in the ARH vs Kooks that would lead me one way or the other... Kooks are a great product but sad to read some not so good quality.

But @HammerHead it's not just cause you are a welder, I am a novice/amature welder fabricator at best and I am that picky also.... I see quality or lack there up better than I think I can produce it myself...
I have no idea about the clockwise vs. counter clockwise; anyone know the difference? Or the importance between to two?