Clatter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coldy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me what this noise is and if it's normal? Besides the usual tick, I hear like a clattering noise on the driver side if you listen closely you can hear it as well.
http://youtu.be/YHSNqGiHQj4

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't tell us much about truck, motor, etc...

OP
OP
C

coldy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah sorry about that. 2012 Ram 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. 41500 miles.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it have oil in it? Cold start or warm? AC on or off? Sounds like the injectors doing what they are supposed to do. And you hear it more when it's cold. just guessing really. Are the manifold bolts tight?

OP
OP
C

coldy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regular oil level yes. Cold start but the video was taken after about 10 minutes running(auto start) in about -7 degrees Celsius. Heat on max. Haven't checked manifold bolts but would an exhaust leak make that odd clatter noise? I understand the tick noise will be caused as these Hemis are known for it but I'm more so trying to diagnose the clatter. Again, maybe it's a natural noise and I'm not use to it as this is my first Hemi. My last truck was a 6.0 power stroke that liked to leak fluids lol and was a constant battle of repair.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the first time you've noticed it where it seems to sound different? -7C is like 20 degrees right? That's pretty cold. If it's got good oil pressure and not setting any codes it could be anything on the serpentine belt. If it's anything at all. It sounds normal to me. But maybe with a better video we could hear it better.

OP
OP
C

coldy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've actually only had the truck for a week I just bought it last Sunday and it's always made that noise since I picked it up. What number is normal for oil pressure? The gauge reads perfect but I will check on the digital display. The easy answer I guess would be to swing by a ram dealer but there is no dealer nearby lol again, it could just be me being paranoid as this is my first hemi.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah bud you might be alright. They make a little valve train noise when they're cold. At least mine does. As long as you got "earl" in it and it's got good oil pressure (it should rise as rpm's increase) you're probably OK.