Cloud of Smoke from Exhaust at Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seem to be getting a cloud of smoke from the tailpipes sometimes when starting my truck. Sometimes there's none, sometimes a little, and a couple times it has looked like a James Bond smokescreen. Lasts only 5 seconds or so at most (but smoking like I just did a burnout is embarrassing). I checked the oil and coolant and both are full and not contaminated with each other. No check engine light and runs smooth. This may be stating the obvious, but the smoke smells like exhaust. It's happened on a warm day, so it's not cold weather.

I'm planning to take it to the dealership on Thursday, but I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas what it could be.

Truck is a 2015 with 5.7 and 8-speed.

I have gotten a moderate amount of smoke coming out on camera (nowhere near the worst, though):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ESwc6itlYYc

Last edited:

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
worn valve guide/stem seal maybe? They will know when they pull the plugs and find the wet one's.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It could be a leaky injector too, dripping a bit of fuel into the cylinder after the engine shuts down.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 03 did the same thing only on start up. The warranty was up when it started doing it so I just let it smoke. It had 15,000 miles on it and was 11 years old when I sold it so the time was up not the miles on the warranty.

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
looks like water vapor
where's the truck parked, if out side and cool temp when parked.
"condensation is a part of the thermos dynamics of a fossil fuel engine"
that's my snarky arrogant ,condescending remark of the day.
brianj

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
that is weird especially on a new truck, hope they get that fixed toute suite

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
it could be from the PCV system (why a catch can is needed on the 5.7)

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oils to thin dump it and add 5-30 syn or could be from blow by going in motor add a catch can

OP
OP
GreenClassic

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I dropped it off. The service advisor said they might find that normal since it's still so new, the rings aren't set yet. I'm skeptical about that, but they are going to check it out. I'll let you know what they say.

In the meantime, the dealership gave me a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee as a loaner:
20160417_171321_zpsfafx2df6.jpg
20160417_171230_zpsilabexhp.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet the dealer says , I don't see the smoke , or that's just normal or my personal favorite , they all do that when they are new

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably too late, but I always break my new engines stout. I hate doing it. But I've done a lot of reading, and I've had good results.

I had an old Honda 750 that smoked badly. I switched to synthetic oil and it quit. You may try that. I'm a catch can believer.

OP
OP
GreenClassic

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet the dealer says , I don't see the smoke , or that's just normal or my personal favorite , they all do that when they are new

He basically said the second and last one, lol.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
so mine did this when I bought it which really sucked. I managed to fix it by tuning out MDS, 5w30 full synthetic oil, and a catch can. Hasn't smoked in almost a year.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First vid looks like water vapor, the second oil. Leaky valve guide seals? Degraded oil maybe?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GreenClassic

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's fresh oil, just changed a couple weeks ago. Dealership called and said they inspected and tested for any problems, but everything's good. They said as long as it doesn't smoke for more than 20 seconds or while driving not to worry. They said since it is still such low miles, they can do this because the rings are not set. So I'll pick it up tomorrow. Maybe this is a good excuse to go on another roadtrip to add some miles, lol.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's fresh oil, just changed a couple weeks ago. Dealership called and said they inspected and tested for any problems, but everything's good. They said as long as it doesn't smoke for more than 20 seconds or while driving not to worry. They said since it is still such low miles, they can do this because the rings are not set. So I'll pick it up tomorrow. Maybe this is a good excuse to go on another roadtrip to add some miles, lol.

How many miles do you have?

And what kind if oil did they used( viscosity? synthetic?)

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How many miles on it? I've seen this a bit with new trucks on the lot.