Cloud of Smoke from Exhaust at Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine smoked like that once.
I started the truck moved it 50 feet turned it off, didn't like where it was moved it again 10 feet and turned it off. A half hour later started it up and just happen to look in the mirror to see a cloud of smoke drift away.
Never seen it again(boy did I keep my eyes on it), but I've never started her 2 times in 10 minutes again either. I might have gassed it just a little on the second start: naughty: ...... I was on the grass, it was wet, oh and my foot slipped.
I do have a catch can and run syn oil.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Classic valve stem seals. It usually happens with older high milage engines. Strange for a new truck.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine never did (or I did not notice it [emoji51])

Last edited:

Jboogie910

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 2WD
Engine
4.7L with Flex Fuel Option
Mine does the same thing. It does it sometimes when I start it up, and when I get down on it in overdrive. I have a 2009 Ram 1500 2wd 4.7L

rbrumm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just noticed mine do it last week. I have 56,000 miles on mine. Wondered maybe if a catch can would solve the problem.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I don't see it as being a "problem" unless it's excessive. A little **** at startup isn't going effecting anything. If it continued to smoke, yeah, you have a problem. It could be a leaky valve stem seal, but you'll typically see constant smoke for 20-40 seconds until what has seeped in to the cylinder has burned off. But a little **** lasting a second or two, meh.

I switched to synthetic oil when I bought my truck new. Started doing that little **** shortly after being new. 86k miles later it still does a little **** at startup. Not a single issue with the motor other than broken manifold bolts.

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine smoked like that once.

I started the truck moved it 50 feet turned it off, didn't like where it was moved it again 10 feet and turned it off. A half hour later started it up and just happen to look in the mirror to see a cloud of smoke drift away.

Never seen it again(boy did I keep my eyes on it), but I've never started her 2 times in 10 minutes again either. I might have gassed it just a little on the second start: naughty: ...... I was on the grass, it was wet, oh and my foot slipped.

I do have a catch can and run syn oil.

Same here. I started my 2015 with 40,000 kms twice about an hour apart and then shut it off quick while loading up to help somebody move. Then the next morning I started it to leave and the blue smoke rolled out of her. A lot of it. Never did it before or since. But ya, I have never started it twice quick and shut it off before either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk