Coil pack??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
How do you know if you got a coil pack going bad?? Have a miss when i’m “lugging” and then roll on the throttle. Mainly does it on hills. Truck has 45k so i’m Getting plugs put in it Thursday. No codes or anything and it’s not continuous. I did some upgrades to my truck. Bully dog gt, magnaflow and k&n intake. Put my Bully dog back to stock and that helped the rough running but still doing it?? Guys on here recommended plugs so i’m Doing that but just curious about bad coil pack symptoms??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your plugs are over due, so that might be the issue. My money would be your packs are good, wait and see if the plugs replaced worked, then worry about the packs. There are a couple youtubes on testing coil packs, personally I have never so can't really say.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that your packs are good. Though, I did have an issue where the boot came loose and I had a tiny leak causing a misfire. It was an easy fix... just out a little grease between the boot and pack to seal it. Just something to consider if new plugs don't fix it.

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the info. Big help. I just didn’t know if coil pack would throw a code up or if it did something very noticeable to say you def have a bad pack??

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What worried me was truck was fine before I put the stuff on...noticed it a day or two later. Now you can’t help but hear it and feel it. I’ll find out Thursday and let you guys know what’s up. Appreciate any more info on this.....thanks

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Usually a coil pack issue will only set a misfire DTC (P0300 - P0308). Unless it's an issue circuit continuity (short to battery or ground). From what I've seen, Mopar coil packs are pretty reliable.

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I would have a check engine light or something?? I have no check engine light or anything?? Truck goes in shop tomorrow for plugs and purple oil change....hope the plugs do it.....

tylerlewis_89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you know if you got a coil pack going bad?? Have a miss when i’m “lugging” and then roll on the throttle. Mainly does it on hills. Truck has 45k so i’m Getting plugs put in it Thursday. No codes or anything and it’s not continuous. I did some upgrades to my truck. Bully dog gt, magnaflow and k&n intake. Put my Bully dog back to stock and that helped the rough running but still doing it?? Guys on here recommended plugs so i’m Doing that but just curious about bad coil pack symptoms??

I'm having the same issue with my truck changed the plugs put the tuner back to stock and still get a miss firing tick when heavy on the throttle no codes are showing and putting the tuner back to stock helped a bit and sometimes when I'm heavy on the throttle usually 1st or 2nd gear it will really miss and bog down for a brief second

2011 Laramie crew,295/65R20 Toyo AT2s extreme,bully dog tuner, led light conversion inside and out, iron cross bumper,12,000lbs warnwinch 1/2" spectra line,levelled,red bumper halos with led fog lights,black grills with led pods behind

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of plugs did you use? Rumor has it the Rams are little particular which one to use. I used the champion iridium. Cured it. Runs great.

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you disable that MDS or whatever it’s called on your Bully dog? Keeps the truck running on all 8 cyl all the time. It asked you to enable or disable when your putting a tune in.

tylerlewis_89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the the plugs from the dealer believe or not they had them the cheapest. Also I bought the tuner just so I could turn the mds off.

2011 Laramie crew,295/65R20 Toyo AT2s extreme,bully dog tuner, led light conversion inside and out, iron cross bumper,12,000lbs warnwinch 1/2" spectra line,levelled,red bumper halos with led fog lights,black grills with led pods behind

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to go now?? That motor is very temprimental about what plugs to run. I used the Champion Iridium’s. They were like 5 bucks a piece but they fixed my problem. Glad I followed what theses guys recommended.

Ronin_Joe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is a bit older but maybe you guys are still around. I have a 2012 5.7 with 170K on it.

The other day we were headed up a hit and i noticed a lug, shake and loss of power. It finial got so bad on the 1 hour ride home it through a misfire code. Doing some reading on here i see the plugs were about 140K over due. Replaced them with the same plugs we pulled out. NGK coppers. The shake and lugging almost completely went away, but not gone.

What would you guys suggest next? The truck is completely stock. I did order some new coil packs just have not installed them yet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Turns out is was the coil packs... Problem solved

If you bought all new Mopar coil packs from the dealer,they should be the newer upgraded coils,which will let you run the 100,000 mile iridium plugs ,if you want to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba