Which Cold Air Intake to choose from?...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonbishop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looking for likes and dislikes of any and all, was looking into the K&N for abit but don't know if there's an "better" intake for our Rams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
S&B or vararam seem to be the best performing & most popular. I had a k&n full kit in my 09, there was a slight performance increase. But more noise than anything else.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a K&N on mine and it sounds good and it's got good performance. But I think it's more of a personal preference. I looked into a vararam and seen where people were having problems with getting them to sit right and cracking.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my S&B

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But I think nowadays they're all personal preference. I don't really see why one would be any better than another.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I love my Vararam. Noticed a difference in WOT and low-end throttle response.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Whatever you choose don't through out the factory one, here some intakes wont pass smog.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
S&B is the way to go. NONE of the intake will give you any substantial performance. The factory intake only starts to suffer from around 53-5400rpms. I have seen logs and done my own on several intakes to find out how efficient the factory intake really is.

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As stated above, no aftermarket intake is going to give you any gain by itself. What a lot of guys fail to realize is that the OEM intake is already a cold air intake. More of a cold air intake than a handful of aftermarket units in fact (such as K&N or Airaid).
S&B, Volant, or Vararam are the only options that should be considered if you want to actually have a cold air intake. Essentially they'll just give you a better looking engine compartment and ease of maintenance.

I would not at all recommend a K&N filter for a daily driven vehicle as they're actually terrible at filtering air.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated above, no aftermarket intake is going to give you any gain by itself. What a lot of guys fail to realize is that the OEM intake is already a cold air intake. More of a cold air intake than a handful of aftermarket units in fact (such as K&N or Airaid).
S&B, Volant, or Vararam are the only options that should be considered if you want to actually have a cold air intake. Essentially they'll just give you a better looking engine compartment and ease of maintenance.

I would not at all recommend a K&N filter for a daily driven vehicle as they're actually terrible at filtering air.

Exactly my thoughts! :favorites13:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep- a little research on the interweb will show what a waste of money the CAI's really are.

At least nowadays and for the average Joe. There are people like Thad who modify the stock airbox for more airflow and that is cheaper and just as good as any of the CAIs.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I like my S&B intake, fits perfect and it is a true CAI, the K&N intakes are hot air intakes that's also why people say they sound good, they are open on the top to the engine compartment.