Cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been scouring the internet and came across some pretty inexpensive CAI's from various companies. I seen them from $75 up to $4/500. Some look very nice and come with a fancy heat shield where the filter gets contained and others are simply just a mandrel bent tube with a filter on the end of it. Now Ive read here in the forum where people have made there own CAI with various materials. My question is, what would be the difference between a generic mandrel bent tube CAI and a homemade version? It would seem to me that it wouldn't really be that cost effective to make your own when I can buy one for $75ish. What say the experts?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 75 one it most likely a metal tube with a filter on it, and since it is metal in an hot engine bay you would no longer have a cold air intake. And you also have the fact that it also most likely doesn't have a cover for the filter so it would be sucking in hot air regardless. but that is basing it off of the ones i have seen for 75 dollars.

The ones that do it themselves put a heatsheid around the piping and also tuck the filter down more into the fender or grille so it is out of the engine bay.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I saw a nice one in a thread somewhere the other day. Awesome looking Mopar cover over it but I don't remember who made it. Still waiting on 6.4 CAI from MOPAR.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is the reason that you want to get one. Your stock box gets all the cold air your hemi needs.

WeTheNorth705

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stock box is alright. But I'm 100% sure a cold air intake will bring much more airflow to the engine.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What is the reason that you want to get one. Your stock box gets all the cold air your hemi needs.

Stock intake is fine for anyone that enjoys driving a stock truck, putting out stock power, on stock tuning...but for the rest of us that actually enjoy modifying our trucks, making more power, and having a little fun, yes, an intake does help.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I've been scouring the internet and came across some pretty inexpensive CAI's from various companies. I seen them from $75 up to $4/500. Some look very nice and come with a fancy heat shield where the filter gets contained and others are simply just a mandrel bent tube with a filter on the end of it. Now Ive read here in the forum where people have made there own CAI with various materials. My question is, what would be the difference between a generic mandrel bent tube CAI and a homemade version? It would seem to me that it wouldn't really be that cost effective to make your own when I can buy one for $75ish. What say the experts?

Any intake with a metal tube will hurt performance because metal gets heat soaked very fast. You want to stick with a plastic or carbon fiber intake tube as they both dissipate heat quicker.

As for the airbox, you don't want an open filter without anything to block off the heat (unless you plan to build your own kit and can put the filter out of the engine bay where it is only pulling in cooler air). I'm not a fan of the K&N or AFE kits because they use a half heat shield instead of a true airbox. Those 2 intakes pull in more engine heat and are also very noisy because the filter is exposed.

If you are looking for an intake that wont break the bank, but is very well built, then take a look at the S&B. Its only $299, and is a great overall kit for these trucks.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my opinion, but a s&b style intake is nothing more than a stock intake with a big high flow filter in it, which btw will allow more dirt particles into your engine. I have had them all and I have come to a conclusion that they are not worth it. The claim of keeping a stock box to run stock HP is simply not true. My uncle builds race cars for a living, guess what, you can have a high horsepower vehicle running a stock intake.....imagine that! For this reason I am staying with the good old stock box and paper filter. Plenty of flow, even if you tune etc for these trucks and the paper filter keeps more contaminants out. Good luck in your search!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
stricnine,

How many Ram trucks have you raced at the dragstrip? How many different intake combos have you tested on the Hemi trucks?

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why are you making it personal or questioning my experience? It's my opinion take it or leave it. I don't expect everyone to agree. I'll just leave it at that. Hahaha

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Nothing personal...just curious what info you are basing your opinion on. There are thousands of hemi truck owners that do race their trucks and have run multiple different setups. Track times and dyno numbers all show gains with aftermarket intakes over the stock box. That doesn't mean you cant make more than stock power with a stock box, but if you could pick up an extra 10-15hp by adding a better flowing intake, then why wouldn't you.

If anyone is looking to find out what parts make more power, then look at the fastest trucks list and see what they are running. You wont find any fast trucks on that list that are still running a stock airbox and filter. Only way to make the stock box perform as well or better than a good aftermarket intake is by adding an extra air scoop that pulls more air from the front of the truck, removing the air filter, and replacing the intake tube with one that is not corrugated. Essentially, the only part of the stock system that is retained is the shell of the box itself.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Love my S&B intake, it is a great product.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Keep in mind the purpose of a COLD Air induction kit is to get more cold air for combustion. Cold air is denser and improves combustion.

A pipe with a filter sucking from the engine compartment may get you more air flow, but it wont be colder denser air from outside the engine bay.

The OEM set-up is a little restrictive for ease of Chrysler manufacturing and noise reasons, but does suck through the passenger side fender to bring in cooler air.

Two CAIs are very popular on RAMS: 1) Vararam air grabber and 2) S&B CAI.

The Vararam actually has a ram effect as you accelerate so gives best improvement BUT, its open to snow/slush and that means a lot of folks in the northern states go with the S&B.
S&B is enclosed, but uses the factory suction through the right fender and has an additional optional suction low down near the tow hooks. Being enclosed the S&B reduces the amount of throttle noise. I like that. Some folks want that loud sucking sound you usually get from K&N, AIRAID etc which have a heat shield but do not seal against the underside of the hood even though they claim to, and therefore suck hot air from the engine compartment.

Hemi450hp above is the owner of Moe's Performance, one of the preferred vendors on RF and has a beast of a 1/4 miler RAM. Great customer service--so give him a call if you still have questions before you go with eBay or some fly-by-night vendor.

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind the purpose of a COLD Air induction kit is to get more cold air for combustion. Cold air is denser and improves combustion.

A pipe with a filter sucking from the engine compartment may get you more air flow, but it wont be colder denser air from outside the engine bay.

The OEM set-up is a little restrictive for ease of Chrysler manufacturing and noise reasons, but does suck through the passenger side fender to bring in cooler air.

Two CAIs are very popular on RAMS: 1) Vararam air grabber and 2) S&B CAI.

The Vararam actually has a ram effect as you accelerate so gives best improvement BUT, its open to snow/slush and that means a lot of folks in the northern states go with the S&B.
S&B is enclosed, but uses the factory suction through the right fender and has an additional optional suction low down near the tow hooks. Being enclosed the S&B reduces the amount of throttle noise. I like that. Some folks want that loud sucking sound you usually get from K&N, AIRAID etc which have a heat shield but do not seal against the underside of the hood even though they claim to, and therefore suck hot air from the engine compartment.

Hemi450hp above is the owner of Moe's Performance, one of the preferred vendors on RF and has a beast of a 1/4 miler RAM. Great customer service--so give him a call if you still have questions before you go with eBay or some fly-by-night vendor.

How loud is the S&B while at a higher RPM? I tow with my truck and I do not want the loud noise of a CAI while driving 500 miles.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How loud is the S&B while at a higher RPM? I tow with my truck and I do not want the loud noise of a CAI while driving 500 miles.
Very comfortable. I had a K&N on my 4.7L Durango that could shake out fillings and drown out music under load, but the S&B is very reasonable: 'gentlemanly' even.

I say let the exhaust do the talking not the intake.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just removed the KN from my truck. I also found out the intake noise is reduced by a resonator on the factory setup. The piece between the intake tube and throttle body is a resonator similar to what is on the exhaust.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You can sure hear it, but it's never intrusive. Just lets you hear the other end of the Hemi :naughty:

You could always look into adding a ram air scoop funneled into the bottom of the stock airbox housing, and replace the filter with a Green or S&B panel.
While the stock and S&B box use the hole in the passenger fender to feed cold air into the airbox, the headlight housing fills much of that space, so another source of air sure wouldn't hurt.

keg184

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a CAI that really works. According to my Bully Dog my intake air temperature is less than 10 degrees over ambient, when cruising it is usually 5 degrees over ambient.

Attachments

• DSCN0493.jpg
    DSCN0493.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0496.jpg
    DSCN0496.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0497.jpg
    DSCN0497.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 351

Latest posts

Forum statistics