Collector size choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like some opinions from you guys on which collector size I should go with for headers. Right now my goal is going with a cam swap later, I kinda ditch the F/I route. I was looking at a set of Kooks LT's with 1 3/4" collectors(be perfect for a cam) but they're $1200. I could get a set of JBA 1 7/8" collectors already ceramic coated for $750 off Moe's. Anyone think the JBA's would be too big for a cam swap and lose too much low end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 3/4 isn't the size of the collectors. That's the size of the tubes to the collectors. Your collectors are probably gonna be 3" out. But 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" difference with just going with a cam setup you're not gonna really notice that big of a difference.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
A header with 1 3/4" primaries will make more tq in the lower rpms where a set with 1 7/8" primaries will make less tq down low, but more hp up top. 1 7/8" will work, but I do recommend stepping up to 4.10 gears and a higher stall tq converter as well to make up for the tq loss down low. You are going to want the gear and converter for the cam swap anyways, so its a win/win.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh my bad, yes I forgot that was the primary sizes not collectors. Anyway, I will be doing a higher stall torque converter along with the cam and I thought about gears but didn't think they would be necessary with everything else, I'd like higher gears but that's $$$ lol the cam swap won't be for another year so I was worried about losing too much down low torque for now while daily driving. A good updated tune would regain some loss with the 1 7/8"/ not?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Your tune should already be pretty close, so it isnt going to overcome the tq loss in the lower rpms. You will need either the gears or the converter to offset the tq loss down low with the big primaries.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I had watched that episode. I may argue that's a totally different engine platform but I get your point. Mine is the price tag for the 1 3/4" vs 1 7/8". If I chose to go FI later I'll already have the right size for it but that's a minor pro towards the 7/8". I'm not gunna be pulling much of anything with my truck, it's just a DD and a toy every so often.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone had issues with the factory ceramic coating on their headers?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
If you go with JBA, the silver ceramic is the way to go. I have seen their titanium coating fail on numerous trucks.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright cool, a guy who does coating( powder, ceramic, etc) was telling me that the factory stuff doesn't last long. That's why I was curious

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Just depends on the brand and the coating. The JBA silver ceramic has proven to be pretty durable. I wouldnt run their titanium coating on my own truck though.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just depends on the brand and the coating. The JBA silver ceramic has proven to be pretty durable. I wouldnt run their titanium coating on my own truck though.

A friend of mine ran JBA titanium ceramic headers and the things rusted and pitted after month 8. And I mean we are in Kentucky Climate, so we see all four seasons, but that still should not be happening on a quality truck part in 10,000 miles of driving.

After watching that video, I think 1 3/4 is the way to go because it seems to be better across the whole spectrum. Granted, it's a different engine, but serves as a good example. Matt, is that the header diameter of your choice?