Convince me on getting a tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 and 2006
Engine
Hemi 4X4 CC and Hemi 4x4 QC Sport
Go for it , it ll put a big smile on your face when u try it and that smile will make u forget the amount of money u paid

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
How would the tune help on highway passing acceleration?

Because you will have an extra 30hp to work with. If you have a 5/6sp transmission, then you want to manually downshift before passing someone on the highway though. WOT downshifts on the highway are the #1 scenario that causes transmission failures in these trucks. The more power you make, the more likely the transmission will fail on this downshift (unless you manually downshift yourself before passing).

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because you will have an extra 30hp to work with. If you have a 5/6sp transmission, then you want to manually downshift before passing someone on the highway though. WOT downshifts on the highway are the #1 scenario that causes transmission failures in these trucks. The more power you make, the more likely the transmission will fail on this downshift (unless you manually downshift yourself before passing).

I have the 8spd.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tax Return makes this extremely tempting, the added throttle response would be huge too. Drove my girlfriends Q50 over the weekend and that thing has power on demand... would love to get the truck similar to that.

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
I agree with adrian. Tax return season is making me want goodies for my truck. It's a toss up between a tuner, remote start, fuzz buster and air horns for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

2013rammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the 6 speeds when I order my tuner from yall what kinda tune will I get a canned tune or a hemi fever tune? And what will I be able to tune on the tranny?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
On the 6 speeds when I order my tuner from yall what kinda tune will I get a canned tune or a hemi fever tune? And what will I be able to tune on the tranny?

If you purchase the regular Diablo tuner, then it will just come with the preloaded Diablo tunes.

If you purchase the optional Hemifever Tune, then the install process is below:

Once you get the tuner, you will update it on your computer and then install 1 of the preloaded Diablo tunes on the truck. When you do this, it will save your stock tune file onto the tuner. You then email that stock tune file to Hemifever along with all your truck info (year, make, model, upgrades, gear ratio, available fuel octane, etc...) Once they receive this, they will then send you 2 custom tunes based on your mods. Save those from your email to the tuner, and then plug the tuner back into the truck. The transmission tuning will already be programmed int the custom tunes that they send you. Hemifever will also email loading instructions to you explaining how to do everything I just listed.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All that Sonnax line pressure booster does is give you firmer shifts at part throttle. The Tq Management tuning that Hemifever does in his tunes will also give you firmer shifts at both part throttle and WOT throttle. The only thing he cant do is change the actual shift point. He can and will raise the rev limiter for you though so that you can rev higher if you shift manually. This is what all the fastest 8sp trucks are doing.

can he also turn off the annoying neutral rev limiter?

IMO

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just got the Trinity tuner from Hemifever for my 15' Express. Loaded the 93 octane Hemifever tune today. I'll post results in a few days.

2013rammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you purchase the regular Diablo tuner, then it will just come with the preloaded Diablo tunes.

If you purchase the optional Hemifever Tune, then the install process is below:

Once you get the tuner, you will update it on your computer and then install 1 of the preloaded Diablo tunes on the truck. When you do this, it will save your stock tune file onto the tuner. You then email that stock tune file to Hemifever along with all your truck info (year, make, model, upgrades, gear ratio, available fuel octane, etc...) Once they receive this, they will then send you 2 custom tunes based on your mods. Save those from your email to the tuner, and then plug the tuner back into the truck. The transmission tuning will already be programmed int the custom tunes that they send you. Hemifever will also email loading instructions to you explaining how to do everything I just listed.

thanks i know im ready to get it! prolly gonna have to wait a bit cause i just boughta new toy a 98 jeep cherokee on 37s and bead locks :D

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Will the 4.7 create enough power to even cause damage to the transmission under WOT shift on free way? With and w/o tune?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I wouldnt risk making that downshift whether you are stock or heavily modified. We know that is what causes the failures, so in my opinion, its not worth taking the chance.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wouldnt risk making that downshift whether you are stock or heavily modified. We know that is what causes the failures, so in my opinion, its not worth taking the chance.

Does the apply to the 66RFE trans as well?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The 66RFE seems to be holding up better to this. I cant explain why as they are very similar transmissions, but I dont know of many 2500's that have had any trouble.

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Wow, this has been super helpful. I ignored the thread for a few days and BAM, all the info I would ever want.

Thanks all.