Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Usually I just run it with the radiator cap off and heater full blast then just keep topping off the overflow res and radiator. Keeping a level in the top of the radiator.

I like that burping kit. May have to grab one when I go to get some distilled water. Thanks!

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't know crap about coolant. However, I once owned a 90's Camaro Z28 that had Dexcool. What a mess that crap becomes! Turns into brown mud.

So what's in my 2011? What to use as a replacement in it after a flush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably have HOAT in your truck. Amazon has some specials on factory mopar hoat.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No problem. I'd double check your manual though as you could see from this thread my truck was a strange one.

Thanks for everyone's response. This has turned into a VERY useful thread! Hope it will help someone googling in the future!

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really want to do it right and run the ultimate coolant go with Evans! You never have to replace it and it has a boiling point of 375°F! And the best part unlike all the coolants mentioned it will not vaporize on the hot spots of the engine (think Water Wetter)!!!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I (myself) don't need the expensive Evans !

My $12 a gallon coolant (PGL) is an ELC so I have Zero worries for 100K miles of worry Free service!

It has been proven many times over for the last 15 years within the walls of BITOG!

In my life I have things I need & things I want!
I don't Need the Expensive Evans!

It's some what similar to the comparison between the Boutique Oils & Shelf Oils!
Yes it would be Kewl to say I was using one of these Boutique oils but I find myself really not needing them due to I can achieve the same or very similar results with the Shelf Oils @ half the cost! (Only talking about Myself)!

I find (Myself) just not Needing these Nice Expensive products! Even though it would be really Kewl to say I used or use them.

Just Me!

Adding RMI-25 which is a very cheap & proven investment just gives Me more confidence my cooling system will provide Me with many years & hundreds of thousands of miles of worry free service.

Everyone else has their wants/needs & thoughts/opinions--->This makes me Happy/Thrilled!

I never have or want other owners doing what I do or using the products I use! That way the Crying/********/Whining all can't be pointed at me!

Even though my recent & past experiences have All shown Outstanding Results with my Ram as well as All of the Family Autos.

This place always needs owners who are not scared to Think/Venture outside the box! This is how SOME of us Learn & Gain Experience.

Thumbs Up Everyone! Carry On!

Just for record again! I would still be running the Expensive (Purple)-(Pink) Mopar coolant if not for a pin hole leak in my bottom radiator hose @ the 1100 mile mark.
Thus I choose to flush & refill with a coolant that is practically identical to the Mopar except for a different color of dye.

The Expensive Mopar (Purple/Pink) coolant is Excellent Quality! I just chose to spend Way Less $$ to achieve the Same results!
In my mind/eyes it was the Logical Choice!

This will arrive on Tuesday so I can easily always know the level of coolant in my system without using the Dumb A$$ dipstick! Really?

Dorman 603-571 Non-Pressurized Coolant Reservoir https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ID3S18I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0T8zyb1NW7KP6

Last edited:

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I (myself) don't need the expensive Evans !

My $12 a gallon coolant (PGL) is an ELC so I have Zero worries for 100K miles of worry Free service!

It has been proven many times over for the last 15 years within the walls of BITOG!

In my life I have things I need & things I want!
I don't Need the Expensive Evans!

It's some what similar to the comparison between the Boutique Oils & Shelf Oils!
Yes it would be Kewl to say I was using one of these Boutique oils but I find myself really not needing them due to I can achieve the same or very similar results with the Shelf Oils @ half the cost! (Only talking about Myself)!

I find (Myself) just not Needing these Nice Expensive products! Even though it would be really Kewl to say I used or use them.

Just Me!

Adding RMI-25 which is a very cheap & proven investment just gives Me more confidence my cooling system will provide Me with many years & hundreds of thousands of miles of worry free service.

Everyone else has their wants/needs & thoughts/opinions--->This makes me Happy/Thrilled!

I never have or want other owners doing what I do or using the products I use! That way the Crying/********/Whining all can't be pointed at me!

Even though my recent & past experiences have All shown Outstanding Results with my Ram as well as All of the Family Autos.

This place always needs owners who are not scared to Think/Venture outside the box! This is how SOME of us Learn & Gain Experience.

Thumbs Up Everyone! Carry On!

Just for record again! I would still be running the Expensive (Purple)-(Pink) Mopar coolant if not for a pin hole leak in my bottom radiator hose @ the 1100 mile mark.
Thus I choose to flush & refill with a coolant that is practically identical to the Mopar except for a different color of dye.

The Expensive Mopar (Purple/Pink) coolant is Excellent Quality! I just chose to spend Way Less $$ to achieve the Same results!
In my mind/eyes it was the Logical Choice!

This will arrive on Tuesday so I can easily always know the level of coolant in my system without using the Dumb A$$ dipstick! Really?

Dorman 603-571 Non-Pressurized Coolant Reservoir https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ID3S18I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0T8zyb1NW7KP6

If you're cool (no pun intended) not eliminating the hot spots in your engine (especially if you tow) than run whatever coolant makes you happy. Evans is a one and done deal and also reduces the pressure in your coolant system

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
LoL! Not concerned with hot spots. All my other engines I'm sure had these same hot spots (As you call them) and lasted me as well as the other owners well over 300K miles and still counting. Never a coolant system issue! Or I would have definitely heard about it!

My Ram has a non-pressurized system so that is not a concern.

Like I've said 1000 times already within these walls it is good for owners to use different products that way we get to hear different experiences.

Just don't get your feathers ruffled when other owners don't want to use what you use.
If you have followed my post over the last 2/3 years you'll notice that I never recommend any products that I use or try to convince people to use what I use. I actually tell people do not do as I do or do not use the products I use. Even though I have had outstanding success with all these products.

I know The reputation of Evans.
I just don't need it. My Rams cooling system will perform flawlessly well past the time I can't drive any longer without the Evans!

When your Ram surpasses 200-300K miles on the Evans without issues please post back with your stellar results! I'm sure some will be interested. I will do the same if I'm still alive I am betting our stories/experiences will be very similar.

I for one thank you and appreciate your opinion on the Evans coolant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My gosh we share the same hate for the dip stick! Is that res a direct bolt on for the factory location?!

Reactions: SyN

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My gosh we share the same hate for the dip stick! Is that res a direct bolt on for the factory location?!
Yep , pretty stupid to put a black coolant and washer fluid reservoirs ?

My wife's 16 Challenger has a clear coolant reservoir tank and you can clearly see it being a bright purple .

My 2014 Ram , however has the black tank , and from what I've read I too should have the PURPLE OAT type coolant .... well I went out and sucked some out with a standard bulb type sucker and put in a clear container , I definitely have the ORANGE , which I believe to be HOAT Coolant ?

Looking in the Radiator cap .

c11fb0494035b97a0f62cc04716a60cc.jpg

Sucked out and placed into a clear container .

95a47a6e0ad89b8b0c3909ce09f992a5.jpg

Clearly the ORANGE coolant

As compared to the photo posted earlier per the star report .

f5afded1b8dd6246fefe6b97692025e2.jpg

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yup this dipstick/black Reservoir thing is a product of a 4IQ engineer who never does his or her own service.

I'm not a fan! Hence the reason I am changing it. So I always know the level with only a simple glance.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup this dipstick/black Reservoir thing is a product of a 4IQ engineer who never does his or her own service.

I'm not a fan! Hence the reason I am changing it. So I always know the level with only a simple glance.
Yep ! 22 year old engineering idiots that don't even know how to open the hood latch , and never even heard of a coolant reservoir Untill the day they wer put on the" CRDTP " aka....the ( Coolant Reservoir Design Team Program ) LOL ! Idiots !

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep , pretty stupid to put a black coolant and washer fluid reservoirs ?

My wife's 16 Challenger has a clear coolant reservoir tank and you can clearly see it being a bright purple .

My 2014 Ram , however has the black tank , and from what I've read I too should have the PURPLE OAT type coolant .... well I went out and sucked some out with a standard bulb type sucker and put in a clear container , I definitely have the ORANGE , which I believe to be HOAT Coolant ?

Looking in the Radiator cap .

c11fb0494035b97a0f62cc04716a60cc.jpg

Sucked out and placed into a clear container .

95a47a6e0ad89b8b0c3909ce09f992a5.jpg

Clearly the ORANGE coolant

As compared to the photo posted earlier per the star report .

f5afded1b8dd6246fefe6b97692025e2.jpg

This whole color coolant thing is pain in the ....
I have a 14 also and from above with light shining down in reservoir or same with radiator cap off I or anyone would say it's orange in color against the black. I took some from radiator put in clear plastic cup and light from top or front looks orange, lighted from back or cup tilted from back is a purple/pink. Even the black jug of brand new 10yr/150k oat looks orange in jug till poured out purple/pink.

I would have done orange in overflow if I didn't try light tests. Try just a little in clear glass or cup with lighting.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Off Topic a Little Bit here!

RLK: what the ****** **** happened to your Pigs yesterday?

Fuente: bringing that Baylor/Tech offense into that league is going to be fun to watch! But you best have a Defense to back it up!

Just wanted to send you my condolences!
Auburn could do the same to use! So I won't trash talk!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Off Topic a Little Bit here!

RLK: what the ****** **** happened to your Pigs yesterday?

Fuente: bringing that Baylor/Tech offense into that league is going to be fun to watch! But you best have a Defense to back it up!

Just wanted to send you my condolences!
Auburn could do the same to use! So I won't trash talk!
Hogs evidently went to sleep after the 1/2

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Swapped the tstat and didn't lose much fluid at all! Burped, took out onto the road, at 186 she opened up and dropped back to 183. So far so good. Hit the highway to hammer down and maxed out at 188. Ran at 85-90 for a bit and she dropped back to 185 and staid the entire rest of the trip. Heater blowing hot as he'll and everything seems to be right. Going to let it cool off and burp it again for good measure.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
BTW the coolant kinda looks pink....

Attachments

• 20161231_123821.jpg
    20161231_123821.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 43

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Jason, go back and read the thread, you most likely have orange HOAT, which is zerex G05. That would likely be the safest thing to put back, but to be safe do some kind of flushing. Read that last link I posted about dex or dex clone. Chosing to run a lifetime coolant could be a risk, unless you chose wisely, IMO HOAT would be the least risk. But who fkin knows, assholes at Ram replaced orange HOAT with orange OAT, who thought that would be a good idea? Look into what Syn runs, probably the most popular coolant at Bob's, Peak Global Life.

Run a Jar of RMI-25, Syn and Burla approved. Definitely compatable with HOAT.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BTW the coolant kinda looks pink....
76bc9c0bb88f10b4c284d53c1129e844.jpg

Looks like mine in my 14 ?

bc292a1d564d0d689611f922aea8d78f.jpgba1ae30dc1155709837a174e6764402e.jpg

85497d09b32fd73955f6a498d31c4275.jpg

HOAT OR OAT ?

I'm thinking it's HOAT .

Did you shine a light on yours while in the syringe? If so did it magically turn purple ?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio