Coolant smell since new.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know if it smells like coolent but i can since new always seem to smell something from the engine bay when the truck has been or is running .

28k miles on odo now, and fluid level appears fine. Any ideas on what it might be?

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have same problem...my dealer says that they have a few trucks like this.... when I walk up around the grill is where I smell it....I have never had any in cab... I also double filter my cab air...genos kits one for cabin door and one over the outside fresh air intake. Works really well!! I can't figure out the smell...I have washed it few times. Dealer tested my system and no leaks either. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have same problem...my dealer says that they have a few trucks like this.... when I walk up around the grill is where I smell it....I have never had any in cab... I also double filter my cab air...genos kits one for cabin door and one over the outside fresh air intake. Works really well!! I can't figure out the smell...I have washed it few times. Dealer tested my system and no leaks either. Any ideas?
I know it sounds stupid, but im so happy that someone else can relate to this .
Definitely the grill area, also when i was doing my oil change last week i could also smell the same under the trucks​ engine area.

I do get a whiff of it sometimes in the cabin when air is on, dealer said at the time is was "dressing" as in cleaning agents lol. I wasnt there for this reason hence didnt push it further since coolent and fluids seem fine and still do.
Would be nice to find out though.

I believe mines been like this from new, 2015 .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Most of the time that is the heater core, at least with other vehicles other then Ram, but not really an issue unless your window gets badly fogged up on starts. If it's in grill area likely just something dumb like the OF tank. I'd check your water level cold often, and oil, coolant can make it's way into oil if a gasket isn't in perfect. If your coolant level never goes down, I wouldnt worry too much limester.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Now that my a/c is starting to come on i do notice an odor when it's on? I'll have to pay more attention.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ what about when you run the heater? I wonder if it is in the vents from the heater core, and you just smell it because the AC is moving air. You windshield doesn't get all foggy inside the window? Check level under rad cap often?

jljbtm

Reaction score
No fog on window, and yes it's full of coolant

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run my ac all the time nothing in cab. It strong in front grille after warmed up good. Weird
^^^ this.

Burla, i check used oil for creaminess and also coolent tank when cold, not reservoir . The over flow resovoir level seems fine.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I run my ac all the time nothing in cab. It strong in front grille after warmed up good. Weird

I had the same thing, ended up being a small leak where some sensor screwed into the manifold. It would leak and boil away leaving no trace until I put die in the coolant.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I know it sounds stupid, but im so happy that someone else can relate to this .
Definitely the grill area, also when i was doing my oil change last week i could also smell the same under the trucks engine area.

I do get a whiff of it sometimes in the cabin when air is on, dealer said at the time is was "dressing" as in cleaning agents lol. I wasnt there for this reason hence didnt push it further since coolent and fluids seem fine and still do.
Would be nice to find out though.

I believe mines been like this from new, 2015 .

Late to this thread, but I have the same experience. The slightest of smells but yes it's there after the truck warms up and I park it. In front of the grill only. Nothing smells inside, and no loss of coolant observed.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Late to this thread, but I have the same experience. The slightest of smells but yes it's there after the truck warms up and I park it. In front of the grill only. Nothing smells inside, and no loss of coolant observed.
Still get the smell 3 years later with 35k miles on clock. Coolent level still seems fine WTF?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Larry73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had 2 new dodge vehicles with the same problem....heater core replaced on both and smells still in the engine compartment and in front by grill and I can smell it when heater is on. Mechanics at dealerships concede n can't find anything n just say your screwed basically.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had 2 new dodge vehicles with the same problem....heater core replaced on both and smells still in the engine compartment and in front by grill and I can smell it when heater is on. Mechanics at dealerships concede n can't find anything n just say your screwed basically.
Yep. Still the same on mine.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck started doing this after i put in a new motor.
2500 miles on the motor and when i shut it off I smell a "hot" smell like hot coolant. there is no leaks, it drives me nuts.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 has done this since new, still does. No loss of any fluid. I have tried poking my nose around to pinpoint an origin to no success. 5.7L 6 speed 4x4

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try replacing the radiator cap...it could maybe be letting pressure out, but not coolant.

I know that sounds weird, but it happened on my liquid cooled ATV.... Same symptom, smelled coolant when the engine was warmed up.... but never a leak.

Radiator cap fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DC Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I understand the problem is the seal between the plastic end caps and aluminum core. The sealant seeps between the O ring seal. Pressurizing the system will show the seep.