Cost for installing LSD and Gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting ready to purchase gears and a LSD and I'm trying to get some prices ranges so I know what to expect when checking shops out.

Any recommendations for shops in the Allentown, Pennsylvania area?

Best place to get installed, Transmission shop? or Tuner shop? I've installed all of my parts so far but I have never done gears before and I don't wanna mess anything up.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I'm getting ready to purchase gears and a LSD and I'm trying to get some prices ranges so I know what to expect when checking shops out.

Any recommendations for shops in the Allentown, Pennsylvania area?

Best place to get installed, Transmission shop? or Tuner shop? I've installed all of my parts so far but I have never done gears before and I don't wanna mess anything up.

You in a 4x4 or 2x4? 8 speed or 6 speed?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Expect to pay anywhere between $1800-$2500 depending on the shop. Look to see if there are any driveline shops in your area but most mechanic shops can do the swap. Most shops will cut you a better deal if you buy the parts through them so keep that in mind. When I supplied my parts I was quoted anywhere between $1800 and $2200 Canadian for labour on both axles.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Expect to pay anywhere between $1800-$2500 depending on the shop. Look to see if there are any driveline shops in your area but most mechanic shops can do the swap. Most shops will cut you a better deal if you buy the parts through them so keep that in mind. When I supplied my parts I was quoted anywhere between $1800 and $2200 Canadian for labour on both axles.

I don't remember if the front is welded in on the 2013, anyone know? If it is I would to a high stall torque converter. There is no substitute for gears in my opinion but if you have to swap the front housing out to do the swap the TQ is a good alternative.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I don't remember if the front is welded in on the 2013, anyone know? If it is I would to a high stall torque converter. There is no substitute for gears in my opinion but if you have to swap the front housing out to do the swap the TQ is a good alternative.

Front ZF diff is welded in but I've heard later years it's not but I've never seen one in person so I can't say for sure. Right now, the only way to go to anything that isn't 321, 3.55, or 3.92 is to swap in a diff from a '11 or earlier.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Just need to buy a new front diff with the gears you want and then the LSD and rear gears.

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I was not expecting that kind of number! Lol For those numbers I should just do a converter, aluminum pro comp 17s, slicks, and heck possibly aluminum driveshafts! Haha good way to spend 2500 bucks

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check out OK4WD in stuwartsville nj. Impeccable reputation. Should be able to get accurate quote by phone.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Wow, I was not expecting that kind of number! Lol For those numbers I should just do a converter, aluminum pro comp 17s, slicks, and heck possibly aluminum driveshafts! Haha good way to spend 2500 bucks

Yep, I still would do the LSD, I REALLY love mine. Compliment that with a converter and roll some smoke :)

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, I still would do the LSD, I REALLY love mine. Compliment that with a converter and roll some smoke :)

Definitely gonna do the lsd. Found a local shop called performance driveline. Will see what the install cost is and then go to dealer and see how much the lsd and install will be and whos warranty is better.

Since gears are out atleast for now gonna look at converter and install price or new wheels and slicks. My 305/50/20 toyos stick when im turning but the drag strip doubtful even tho theyre nice and wide.

Wonder how much some 4wd aluminum driveshafts would cost to make? Got a local shop that makes them. That would speed up some slow gears.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2011 Ram.

I bought all the necessary parts from Matt @ Moe's. Took the parts to the branch dealership, of the main one, that l bought the truck from. Labor for front, rear, 4.10s, LSD, was less than $1200.

The 4.10s, plus a CAI, and Hemi Fever 91 Tune, and it is a MUCH Improved truck. If l had to drive 3.55s, l would have sold it. So for me, Gears was the more cost effective option.

^I learned my lesson, tho. When it came time to buy the Mustang, l got the lowest factory gears available. I did the same thing when l bought the Wrangler. No better advantage than mechanical advantage.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
2011 Ram.

I bought all the necessary parts from Matt @ Moe's. Took the parts to the branch dealership, of the main one, that l bought the truck from. Labor for front, rear, 4.10s, LSD, was less than $1200.

The 4.10s, plus a CAI, and Hemi Fever 91 Tune, and it is a MUCH Improved truck. If l had to drive 3.55s, l would have sold it. So for me, Gears was the more cost effective option.

^I learned my lesson, tho. When it came time to buy the Mustang, l got the lowest factory gears available. I did the same thing when l bought the Wrangler. No better advantage than mechanical advantage.
I have a 2011 4x4 with 3.55s. Was looking at a parts list from Moe's yesterday on doing this. There's the 4.10 gear sets for the front and rear, then the LSD. Did you also purchase either of the install kits for the shop you used, or just let them handle that part?

For us being 2011, it's an easier swap correct (ie just the gears, no new axles, etc.)?

My next major upgrade was gears or headers, then I had to replace my AC compressor.

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 Ram.

I hear ya. I had to mod like crazy to be pleased after about the first year of ownership. I have been an audio guy my whole life. Never had anything with get up and go. I just knew i didnt want the "knob" and it had to have the hemi. I was happy in the beginning. Then these lil turbo honda kids started popping up and smoking me. That was when i purchased the diablo and ive been modding ever since lol.

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 4x4 with 3.55s. Was looking at a parts list from Moe's yesterday on doing this. There's the 4.10 gear sets for the front and rear, then the LSD. Did you also purchase either of the install kits for the shop you used, or just let them handle that part?

For us being 2011, it's an easier swap correct (ie just the gears, no new axles, etc.)?

My next major upgrade was gears or headers, then I had to replace my AC compressor.

Just make sure if you do headers theyre long tubes. If not, you will be dissapointed at the money wasted.

Gears and lsd would be a much better upgrade!

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Just make sure if you do headers theyre long tubes. If not, you will be dissapointed at the money wasted.

Gears and lsd would be a much better upgrade!
Only considering LTs and agree on gearing first.