A couple issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I bought my 2010 5.7L in August and I'm loving the truck, but the last couple days I've noticed some engine issues. The first one is that when coasting to a stop with MDS engaged, I'm getting a fairly loud ticking sound until MDS drops out and then it seems to go away. I also only seem to hear it when the engine is cold. Also, just today I noticed a slight surge at idle, going between 500&600 RPM. If anyone has had these issues or has any ideas on a fix, that would be great!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Operate your truck in tow haul, it stops MDS. You can also downshift from overdrive to 5th gear. Redline oil and a royal purple filter got rid of my lifter tick, many others too. But exhaust bolts cal also cause tick. I wouldn't sweat a 100 rpm surge. If there is a lot of miles on that truck you might need a techron cleaner for a while.

OP
OP
ckeefer58

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, it's not a huge deal, just the first time I've noticed it. I'm thinking I may have gotten some bad fuel as well, my MPGs were about 2 less then I'm normally running.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CapeRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'd say your ticking in MDS is broken manifold studs. I know mine did the same thing and especially when starting from cold.
For the idle you may need to run some injector cleaner through it or if it's too bad clean your throttle body.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'd say your ticking in MDS is broken manifold studs. I know mine did the same thing and especially when starting from cold.

Mine does this as well. Mine is not from broken studs, as I have checked all the studs to see if they were broke.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you have a tick at cold start that slowly goes away as the engine warms its probable that your exhaust manifold is warped and it broke a bolt(s), or you just have a broken bolt.

I had my right manifold replaced under warranty at 30K miles.

If you tick arises at other times, here is one discussion of three causes (out of several) for Hemi tick (other folks swear it has to do with lifter lash/gap issues) but a lot of folks have seen better lubrication with engine oils higher in Molybdenum reduce their tick:

According to this source (an engine treatment/lubricant vendor) There are 3 culprits that cause the "Hemi Tick" heard at idle and just off idle.

1) First, fuel used have higher amounts of sulfur and lead (tetra ethyl or tetra methyl) to lubricate and cushion intake and exhaust valves in the old days. When EPA decided to go to unleaded fuels, flash chromed and hardened valves and seats were produced trying to deal with the lack of lubricant. This did allow engines to live longer than if they had soft valves and seats. However, when EPA went to increasing percentages of ethyl alcohol, that all changed. Alcohol absorbs moisture and strips lubricity (thins oils lubricating properties). That was bad enough, but when EPA also reduced sulfur content from 130 parts per million (ppm) to 30 ppm, it really produced a perfect storm. Both the intake and exhaust valves are now hitting against the valve seats with no cushioning from the fuel at all. This causes wear, and of course....noise or TICK.

2) The second part of the Hemi Tick is that fuel injectors depend on at least 70 ppm. When EPA went to the ethyl alcohol and less than 30 ppm sulfur, injectors lost cushioning from fuel allowing them to click or tick while also building up gum and varnish.

3) The third part of the Hemi Tick arises because the Hemi, like most engines today has a very short piston skirt and thin rings with virtually no land area. With the comparatively higher compression and spherical crown it causes the piston try and rock in the bore. This is why Chrysler adds a moly piston skirt coating--to cushion the short skirt. The problem is that as miles rack up, the moly is worn off and a louder engine or tapping noise begins to occur. This actually contributes to more aluminum in your oil analysis.

My $0.02: Smog control and pollution abatement are worthwhile efforts--I remember when the whole world seemed to smell like unburned gasoline from the tailpipes of cars in the 60's and 70's and applaud the vast improvement in air quality achieved since that time. But the EPA tends to take a suck it up cupcake approach with the auto industry and the engineering and technology often lag the sometimes more symbolic than substantive authoritarian mandates by the Feds. Additives and changes in your brand of motor oil, as well as periodic oil analysis, can assist in extending the life of your engine.

Since opinions vary you might want to monitor the responses this post receives to get THE REST OF THE STORY..... I'll certainly be watching :popcorn:

Last edited:

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a tick at cold start that slowly goes away as the engine warms its probable that your exhaust manifold is warped and it broke a bolt(s), or you just have a broken bolt.

I had my right manifold replaced under warranty at 30K miles.

If you tick arises at other times, here is one discussion of three causes (out of several) for Hemi tick (other folks swear it has to do with lifter lash/gap issues) but a lot of folks have seen better lubrication with engine oils higher in Molybdenum reduce their tick:

According to this source (an engine treatment/lubricant vendor) There are 3 culprits that cause the "Hemi Tick" heard at idle and just off idle.

1) First, fuel used have higher amounts of sulfur and lead (tetra ethyl or tetra methyl) to lubricate and cushion intake and exhaust valves in the old days. When EPA decided to go to unleaded fuels, flash chromed and hardened valves and seats were produced trying to deal with the lack of lubricant. This did allow engines to live longer than if they had soft valves and seats. However, when EPA went to increasing percentages of ethyl alcohol, that all changed. Alcohol absorbs moisture and strips lubricity (thins oils lubricating properties). That was bad enough, but when EPA also reduced sulfur content from 130 parts per million (ppm) to 30 ppm, it really produced a perfect storm. Both the intake and exhaust valves are now hitting against the valve seats with no cushioning from the fuel at all. This causes wear, and of course....noise or TICK.

2) The second part of the Hemi Tick is that fuel injectors depend on at least 70 ppm. When EPA went to the ethyl alcohol and less than 30 ppm sulfur, injectors lost cushioning from fuel allowing them to click or tick while also building up gum and varnish.

3) The third part of the Hemi Tick arises because the Hemi, like most engines today has a very short piston skirt and thin rings with virtually no land area. With the comparatively higher compression and spherical crown it causes the piston try and rock in the bore. This is why Chrysler adds a moly piston skirt coating--to cushion the short skirt. The problem is that as miles rack up, the moly is worn off and a louder engine or tapping noise begins to occur. This actually contributes to more aluminum in your oil analysis.

My $0.02: Smog control and pollution abatement are worthwhile efforts--I remember when the whole world seemed to smell like unburned gasoline from the tailpipes of cars in the 60's and 70's and applaud the vast improvement in air quality achieved since that time. But the EPA tends to take a suck it up cupcake approach with the auto industry and the engineering and technology often lag the sometimes more symbolic than substantive authoritarian mandates by the Feds. Additives and changes in your brand of motor oil, as well as periodic oil analysis, can assist in extending the life of your engine.

Since opinions vary you might want to monitor the responses this post receives to get THE REST OF THE STORY..... I'll certainly be watching :popcorn:

This is not a "Hemi tick" as it only does it when MDS is engaged. If put in tow haul mode or 5th in shiftable mode it does not do it. If MDS is engaged it only makes the sound when it is on 4 cyl, when all 8cyl are used there is no sound. The "Hemi tick" is heard at all times, even during idle, if I have read correctly.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like the MDS lifters then. Maybe rebuild the top end with non MDS lifters and call it a day. Pop off the valve covers and see if you have any play in the valve train.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk