crankcase vent tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hi all,

recently installed a KN cold air intake on my 1500. had a hell of a time getting the new silicone hose onto the crankcase side. apparently I didn't secure it good enough and it came off. I am currently at work and cannot fix it until I get back home. could this cause damage to anything leaving it off on my 15 min drive home? as far as I understand, the hose just vents gases from the crankcase using the pressure from the air intake.

thanks

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i got a code when mine came off and it was sluggish at idle but that might have been a coincidence

i actually ended up cutting further down on the plastic tube, cutting a slit in the k&n tube so it would stretch more slamming it on and using a hose clamp to keep it on. pita

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
hi all,

recently installed a KN cold air intake on my 1500. had a hell of a time getting the new silicone hose onto the crankcase side. apparently I didn't secure it good enough and it came off. I am currently at work and cannot fix it until I get back home. could this cause damage to anything leaving it off on my 15 min drive home? as far as I understand, the hose just vents gases from the crankcase using the pressure from the air intake.

thanks

You can leave it off temporarily but you will get a code that will pop up in some cases if it's the PCV line you're talking about. It's not ideal but it will be fine.

To clarify, the crankcase vent hose is actually the PCV hose which vents the crankcase vapours through the PCV valve and is vacuum activated and it uses the vacuum created by the intake manifold behind the throttle body. The tube that connects to the intake tube of a CAI is the fresh air make up line (FAMU) which just replaces the air in the crankcase with filtered air. The intake is not pressurized, it's actually under vacuum but at or neat the filter where the FAMU tube should plug into the vacuum is minimal and is a good source of make up air.