Crankcase ventilation hose - Issues after Reconnecting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayneayo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys...I need to get some opinions/advice on this. I recently opened up my hood to clean the air filter and noticed the crankcase ventilation hose that connected to the air filter box was disconnected. I don't know how long its been that way, but I haven't ever noticed any issues with the engine. So, I reconnected it back to the intake and since then, I've noticed a couple strange things. First, my exhaust seems to be louder and resonate more in the cabin while in the mid-RPM range (maybe 2-4k rpm). Not only is it slightly louder, but it also has a bit of a different sound in that range as well (more throaty). I've had a magnaflow 22" muffler on the truck for a couple years now and it definately sounds different after I reconnected the hose. Also, my gas mileage according to my dashboard has dropped from around 14.5 mpg to between 10-11mpg. Lastly, the truck now seems to shift differently like it wants to remain in a gear longer and i feel like there's maybe slightly less power.

It's my understanding that this hose vents excess gasses from the crankcase into the air intake which is then re-fed back into the engine to be burnt off. I don't really understand why reconnecting the hose would have any effect on the sound of the exhaust or the engine performance.

If someone would kindly help me out with their opinion and advice, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Note: The attached picture is not my truck. It was an image i found through a google search. I just wanted to make sure you guys knew for sure what hose i was talking about.

Attachments

• vent hose.jpg
    vent hose.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 73

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
That hose has nothing to do with the sound of the exhaust. That hose is just part of the emission controls that recalculate the oil fumes from the engine back through the intake.

OP
OP
W

wayneayo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I thought as well, however there is definitely a change after I reattached it. Maybe it's not the exhaust, maybe its a noise coming from the intake that is resonating in the cabin while in that RPM range.

Is there any possibility this hose would have an adverse affect on my MPG?

I realize that these things shouldn't be related to this hose, but that is literally the only thing that changed.