Crazy to want true duals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, i know this has been beaten to death but i keep considering redoing my single at3030 that splits into duals with a true dual setup. Ive searched around here quite abit gathering info on what i want to do. I know there will be little power gain, but im not looking for that as much as the sound true duals make (imo its nothing like a single in dual outlet muffler). I understand exhaust gas scavenging and the purpose of a crossover. How does an x-pipe effect the sound as opposed to a fully separated system? I have a lifted truck so i dont need every last horsepower as theres no such thing as a fast lifted truck haha. I plan on running 2.5" pipe with aero at2525's and most likely an xpipe if it will keep the sound im looking for. This truck is my baby, and im very **** about doing things right, so im looking for some more knowledgeable input!

Here is an example of what im looking for. This is true dual aeros, and my single 3030 into the factory tails sounds nothing like this!
http://youtu.be/0LwTLMBAn2Q

Jizzo17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a video on youtube a while back of a guy that did true duals with an X pipe. I can't seem to find it now though. I think his truck was a grey single cab.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The truck in that video also has 5" tips which will change the sound of the exhaust as well. That is something else to consider before spending $500-$600 on switching your current setup out for duals.

OP
OP
Freed127

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know tips deff make a sound difference and your 5" tip kit is deffinately on my want list. But i dont think that they will make all the differance im looking for. It just seems that true duals have more of a crack in thr mid to high rpms.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You are right. Exhaust is just very hard to explain through words because sound will change based on whether you use an X or H pipe, where you place the X/H pipe, where you place the mufflers, what size piping you run, with headers or without, what size tips, etc...

If you are going with duals, I would switch to 2.5" piping with an X pipe just behind the transmission crossmember, and then mount the mufflers in about the stock location and keep the stock 2.25" tailpipes out back. Pair that up with a set of 5" tips, and it will have a very nice growl to it.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The truck in that video also has 5" tips which will change the sound of the exhaust as well. That is something else to consider before spending $500-$600 on switching your current setup out for duals.

That wasn't DavidRam's old truck was it?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I was referring to the black truck in the video that the OP posted. And David was running the Magnaflow catback system.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I'd def add a x pipe cause he had to have some power loss with that set up in the video. I know I lost a good bit of low end in my true dual set up til I added the x pipe.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been running true dual (with NO cross-over) for over a year. I have noticed no loss of power (of course, not dyno tested) and no ill effects. Everything behind where the factory muffler was located is still 100% stock so it appears to be "factory" to anyone just looking at it.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have true 2.5" duals with mf tru x muffler in the stock location. Having the x in the back instead of the front probably hurts me but i still cut 1.65-1.67 60's. I will be swapping back to single exhaust to try something different for the track.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been running true dual (with NO cross-over) for over a year. I have noticed no loss of power (of course, not dyno tested) and no ill effects. Everything behind where the factory muffler was located is still 100% stock so it appears to be "factory" to anyone just looking at it.

What mufflers are you running?

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My muffler guy put true duals on my 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with no cross pipe, long glass packs, stock resonators & tips. I can hear the radio while cruising with no drone but it really sounds wicked when I get on it. We mainly use our truck to tow a travel trailer so this setup is fine for me and I also haven't noticed any loss of power or throttle response. My previous setup was stock pipes with a Magnaflow 18" and the drone drove me nuts.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about true dual pipes when I just spent 2500ish on my exhaust system but didn't. It seemed the general consensus was the air flow is pretty damn good and it wasn't necessary. I added ARH long tubes with thier Y-pipe and Cats. From the Y-pipe/merge collector it goes down to a single 3" pipe into the muffler then duals out just like the stock design. Resonator will go right after merge collector then I installed a straight through design MBRP muffler with 2.5" pipes out the back. It breathes very good and is extremely loud. Actually just ordered a 3" straight through Vibrant resonator with perforated holes and packing around the 3" bore. She just puffs out the exhaust :naughty:

OP
OP
Freed127

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im pretty set on the aero muffler again, mainly because of how it has little to no drone. I had flowmasters on other trucks and couldnt stand it. Any other suggestions on something else. I want to avoid the drone and have an aggressive sound. Not just loud like glasspacks are, it needs a note . Only other options i know is the new carven muffler and slp's loudmouth but i don't have experience with either

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What mufflers are you running?

Right now, its some "store brand" that the shop I go to uses. They are supposed to be the basic un-branded version of a Dynaflo muffler.

It's not loud but it is more aggressive than stock. I plan on switching the mufflers out for Porter steel pack mufflers this Summer though...

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
..... slp's loudmouth but i don't have experience with either

Only experience with an SLP loudmouth 1 is on my cousins ws6 transam and it sounds sick. Like..beastly.

I'm sure it'd sound nice on the 5.7

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heavily considered Spintech when watching countless vids. I like the magna flow and flow master sound over stock but I really liked the mean raspy sound like a Hellcat I heard from Spintech/MBRP mufflers. I felt MBRP captured that exhaust tone and it has proven true in person and even better with long tube headers.

Lees10ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used an x pipe off a c7 z06 and 2 dynomax 12 inch bullet mufflers. Nice and loud but not raspy. No lose in performance that I've noticed