Custom CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you are quite wrong in you assesment that intakes only offer a cool sound on a hemi... I am pretty sure alot of members on here, backed up by dyno runs would argue that they do in fact offer a performance gain as well.

I will agree with you on your point that the flow of air into the throttle body will not be laminar (its Reynold's number will in fact be a bit over 20,000), but I don't think any of the systems involving fluid flow on your truck are. Obviously exhaust is out of the question, coolant I would be highly skeptical of (with the obvious exception of being in the radiator itself), and at best, fuel flow is probably laminar in the main line headed towards your motor...

You certainly can't make the arguement that a turbo, or supercharger creates laminar flow at the TB unless you have a ridiculously large hydraulic diameter for all of your tubing (which would be inefficient space wise).

As you could see in the original post I introduced to topic of pressure with not only maybe, but MAYBE, because I didn't want the focus of this thread to be based on opinions about how infeasible it is to generate pressure with ram air.

In response though the volume of air the the hemi draws at 4500 RPM is in fact half of the volume that would pass through the largest area of my rams at 60 MPH. Obviously this is not a perfect world so losses due to flow characteristics are to be expected, but probably not on that scale.

While it is true that I probably won't generate any positive relative pressure at the throttle body, I would be happy to bet vast sums of money that the relative pressure at the TB will be higher with the ram system in place, and at 60 MPH than it would be without it there. This means that because of the rams my Hemi would be breathing better, thus generating more power.

Your Witness. jk lol

I appreciate that you took my words as intended. I've yet to see any impressive dyno proven gains from any intake (sans a Supercharger:naughty: ) The 4th Gen has an excellent free flowing design to it already, and a huge deep filter with lots of surface area.

Guess I'm just old and boring anymore, it ain't broke, don't fix it. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I think that for the 17 +/- HP that the cold air intake companies claim it is worth a few bucks. The $/HP rating of a cold air intake is relatively low in my opinion compared to an option like supercharging (where you get quite a bit of HP but at a high expense)

Plus 17 HP is about all I have ever seen off a cold air intake alone regardless of what gen it is... discounting of course some really ****** old design from the early days lol

I suppose at least you can tell I thought this through, and am not just diving head first into something I have no clue about lol. Trying to not make any claims that I couldn't reasonably substantiate.

On a side note, you can't claim you are that old, you are only 29...