Custom torque tuning instead of top end HP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I Have a Diablo tuner anyone know if there are any custom tunes for bottom end torque instead of top end HP?
I emailed HemiFever about this but only got back a generic answer so I can't tell if they have anything or not.
I looked up Jay Green but can only seem to find a Facebook sight, how do you contact him?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
There is only so much that can be done in the tuning to make more hp or tq because Sean has already tuned it for your exact mods. The throttle sensitivity can be raised to bring the power on sooner with less throttle, but its very unlikely that Sean or any other tuner is going to be able to tweak what you already have to physically make more tq down low.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is only so much that can be done in the tuning to make more hp or tq because Sean has already tuned it for your exact mods. The throttle sensitivity can be raised to bring the power on sooner with less throttle, but its very unlikely that Sean or any other tuner is going to be able to tweak what you already have to physically make more tq down low.

Where is hemifever based out of

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
+1 for what Hemi450hp said. If you were running a turbo or SC the tune can affect different ranges but an NA motor isn't the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust sometimes can make a difference. I run short headers and like the TQ they give. Was going to go LT for overall power but didn't want to lose any TQ. With the 6"lift and 35's I need all the TQ I can get :). Maybe an ATI pulley will help as well.

Anything to get the exhaust flowing and rotational mass going quicker in low RPM's is what your looking for.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Horse Power: Torque X RPM divided by 5252.

Toque is what you're after.

A Petal Commander does a very good job of artificially providing low end torque. I put a Pet Com in the V6 Mustang. The truck does real well as is.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Exhaust sometimes can make a difference. I run short headers and like the TQ they give. Was going to go LT for overall power but didn't want to lose any TQ. With the 6"lift and 35's I need all the TQ I can get :). Maybe an ATI pulley will help as well.

Anything to get the exhaust flowing and rotational mass going quicker in low RPM's is what your looking for.

yeah but more flow isn't always the answer, especially with head work. Back pressure can help torque, all depends on the application.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah but more flow isn't always the answer, especially with head work. Back pressure can help torque, all depends on the application.

This is why when doing my exhaust I kept the 2.5" Y and just fixed the bottleneck and the Y junction (Magnaflow Y-pipe piece) and then did the stock 3" out the back.

If I did full 3" I would lose back pressure, thus losing TQ.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You guys need to do a quick google search and some reading before you start talking about "back pressure"...

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine Masters E9:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVXvHkr-Vs

When I went from 2.5" to 3" exhaust I felt like I lost TQ when in reality I just need a retune to take advantage of the difference in airflow.

Open up your exhaust as much as you can but make sure your truck is tuned for it or the butt dyno will lie to you :)

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Engine Masters E9:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVXvHkr-Vs

When I went from 2.5" to 3" exhaust I felt like I lost TQ when in reality I just need a retune to take advantage of the difference in airflow.

Open up your exhaust as much as you can but make sure your truck is tuned for it or the butt dyno will lie to you :)

I love engine masters, I watch every one of these

Just remember, that's a much bigger engine moving more air then say a 5.7. Also that's a wide open throttle

The key to this is backpressure isn't helping things. Velocity is what helps get rid of the exhaust, and a bigger pipe slows down the velocity of the flow. I know it's a technical term, let's just not drag this out over 8 pages of technicalities

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You guys need to do a quick google search and some reading before you start talking about "back pressure"...

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything they say either. Or believe everything you read on the inter webs.

I've been around performance vehicles for 30 years and had a few myself. I have personally seen dyno charts of vehicles where it proves that the "back pressure" does make a difference as well as felt the difference.
The actual Tq number will stay the same, or increase, but that particular amount of Tq will be met at a higher RPM.
These principles are going to different from vehicle to vehicle and mod to mod. But, I have personally seen and felt this affect.
I also think that using a 650hp big block with huge headers/ collectors might be making the results much more minor. You can see there are differences in the curves varying by the exhaust or lack there of. This proves it affects the Tq and Hp. Lots of stuff affects the 2.....cams, heads, headers, carb/Fi, IM.......they all work in unison when you build a motor correctly, even down to the cam timing and exhaust pulses and all affect Tq and Hp.

Last edited:

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
oh i get it just fine but there isnt any use in arguing over it because like i said some people just dont get it no matter who says it. so you keep your backpressure and ill keep my my 18 mpg in the city and 25 on the hwy with full bolt on and hurting the 5.0 mustangs feelings around here with my highly reduced backpressure

tuned by jay greene

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
oh i get it just fine but there isnt any use in arguing over it because like i said some people just dont get it no matter who says it. so you keep your backpressure and ill keep my my 18 mpg in the city and 25 on the hwy with full bolt on and hurting the 5.0 mustangs feelings around here with my highly reduced backpressure

tuned by jay greene

I'll keep it only cause I have seen data that proves otherwise. That's right, actual dyno charts that prove such. I'll see if I can dig up some dyno charts.

I don't want to argue either but making stupid statements is no way to have debate about it.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
and you believe what the dyno says? you cant believe everything you read. remember back a few posts?

tuned by jay greene