Custom tunes PRO vs CON

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm finally ready for a custom tune. Any pros or cons between companies? Would it just be best to go to the dyno? Need help. Any input would be appreciated!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemifever is a vendor on this site. He is my preferred tuner. The other tuner you will hear about on this forum is Jay Greene. I have no experience with him or his tunes. He has his followers as does Hemifever. Both do tuning using e-mail based on information you provide them. Whichever you choose, remember that communication with your tuner is the key to a successful custom tune.
Jay

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I used Hemifever for my 6.4L custom tune on the Diablosport platform and was very pleased with the service and results. It was easy to do and all done via email.

I've had tunes done via dyno with Diablosport software and the results were very good. I'd say using a dyno to develop a tune maybe a bit better than tunes by email but for the money, the small difference in results isn't worth it.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Biggest con for me was having to get another computer for the unlocked pcm. Other cons are warranty possibly being voided and gas mileage loss because I am driving spirited. Pros outweigh the cons, my RT feels faster than my challenger RT I had. I'm running Hemefevers 91 custom tune and my truck is more responsive and a lot funner to drive. Sent him my data log yesterday for my specific custom tune so hoping to see how it feels when I receive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does every tuner custom or not need to have a different PCM swapped in? Or are there tuners that you don't have to swap a PCM?

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I'm currently running the 93 canned from my intune which was my 1st mod on truck. Just want something more tailored for me now that I have installed t/b, catless headers, 180 tstat etc.

Not worried about gas mileage if I was I would've bought a prius.

Mine is a 13. Thank God I didn't need to buy an unlocked pcm.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does every tuner custom or not need to have a different PCM swapped in? Or are there tuners that you don't have to swap a PCM?

This only applies to 2015+ trucks. 2014 & older trucks do not need a second PCM.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm currently running the 93 canned from my intune which was my 1st mod on truck. Just want something more tailored for me now that I have installed t/b, catless headers, 180 tstat etc.

Honestly, I think you'll be quite happy with what Sean (Hemifever) can do for your truck's performance with a custom tune by email.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
MADDOG is right here, a dyno tune may net a few extra hp/tq but I wouldn't think enough to be noticeable. Hemifever does datalogging and makes adjustments there so ID believe they'd be real close in performance for significantly less.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

If you got headers on the truck GET a custom tune.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just set my tuner up with Diablo's tune. It's already WOKE compared to before. Got the custom HemiFever today and am really excited for the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I refuse to pay 1200.00 Canadian for the new tuner/pcm especially since I have a Diablo top shelf tuner just sitting in its package in the garage. I know life sucks.