CV axle question for the guys Drag racing 4X4's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just curious if anyone who's drag racing their 4X4's, if they've pulled their CV axles out. Did it make any difference in the e.t or mph. Only asking as i'm probably going to swap front diffs on mine,and was thinking of leaving the front axles out. In the 2 years I've owned mine,i've only ever used the 4X4 a couple times,that was more to try it out then anything,and don't forsee ever using it,mines a good weather pavement princess.So it's kinda a curiousity question more then anything.Would save wear and tear on them,if and when I do decide to get rid of it,they're only an hour to throw back in,and they'd still be low milege axle shafts,lol

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The minute amount of rotational mass would probably not be enough to notice on a timeslip unless you were looking at the thousandth of a second (.001). I'd just leave them in if I were you.

I'm not familiar how the 4WD is set up on these trucks, but would it even be safe to drive it with the CV shafts removed? Just curious.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm more worried about them at wide open then anything.Every once in awhile I open it up,and the little truck will put up in excess of 150 on the speedo,how accurate it is,i'm not sure,but it definitely gets out of it's own way on the top end,lol .It's always in the back of my mind about how much rpm the shafts are actually safe to,especially on a lowered truck where the angles aren't exactly at factory specs.
The 2wd and 4wd's both use the same outer wheel bearing hub,and the CV's slide over a stub shaft at the diff,so there's nothing to worry about with them out.
For ***** and giggles I pulled them this afternoon,will let you know next week whether it makes a difference in trap speed or et.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Another guy that shouldve bought a 2wd.

You can't find a 2wd regular cab shortbox truck in Western Canada,unless you want a ST /Tradesmen version or you order it.I looked for a R/T,even had the local dealer do a search,and at the time they couldn't find one .I always buy when the new models are due to hit the lots,when all the rebates are on the old stock and dealers are blowing them out,and at that time there wasn't an old stock R/T available in Western Canada.I could of ordered one,but then I would of had to pay full price and would of ended up with a 15 that you have to buy the PCM from Diablo to tune

Last edited:

Sohc1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I'm pretty sure the cv axle is what holds the hub bearings together, someone on here did that and the hub bearings fell apart. Might want to verify B4 go any further.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm pretty sure the cv axle is what holds the hub bearings together, someone on here did that and the hub bearings fell apart. Might want to verify B4 go any further.

Same outer wheel bearing hub between the 2wd and 4wd's

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Pulling 40 lbs of axles out is good for close to 1/2 tenth and almost 1 mph on my little 4X4. Last nights times DA correct to a 12.120 at 111 mph,it's best DA correction before was 12.165 at 110 mph. If you're looking for every last hundredth out of your 4X4 pulling the axles isn't going to slow you down,lol