Cylinder 1 misfire, please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi with 120k miles and I'm getting the check engine code that cylinder 1 in misfiring. The issue is comes and goes, if I pull loads while in tow haul and accelerate to 5000-6000 rpms I get the typical exhaust crackle that comes with my straight pipe system. But sometimes when I'm in low gear and rpms are high the crackle repetition is very fast and the truck starts to shake. If I drive for a few minutes it sometimes sorts itself out, or if I turn it off and on again it will stop and run fine. I've been told it might be coils or plugs but before I replace those I want to know what else it might be.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hope for bad plugs. Worst case scenario, you have a bad lifter, dropped a valve which is making contact with a love on the camshaft.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe swap coils and plugs to another cylinder and see if the misfire throws there. Hopefully it is not a lifter valve issue. I had major misfire issues on my old 07 Ram, turned out it was 3 cracked injectors.

SoCalLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi with 120k miles and I'm getting the check engine code that cylinder 1 in misfiring. The issue is comes and goes, if I pull loads while in tow haul and accelerate to 5000-6000 rpms I get the typical exhaust crackle that comes with my straight pipe system. But sometimes when I'm in low gear and rpms are high the crackle repetition is very fast and the truck starts to shake. If I drive for a few minutes it sometimes sorts itself out, or if I turn it off and on again it will stop and run fine. I've been told it might be coils or plugs but before I replace those I want to know what else it might be.

Hi,
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am in the same exact situation with a 2012, cylinder one misfire, while towing, and at high rpms!!

Hauling Pillows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not that hard or expensive to replace the plugs, at 100k, it's good practice to change them anyway
In modern ignition system 99% of the time its either plug or coil if you have a misfire
Once the correct plugs are installed you can try moving #1 coil around or just buy a new one and replace

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado